Control Logix L-61/L-71

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I have historically used the 1756-L61 process on projects and it appears to have been the correct choice in terms of price to features required for my projects.

Recently I received a quote on the 1756-L71 processor and noticed it is now cheaper than the 1756-L61 processor.

Are there any "gotchas" when moving to the 1756-L7x series from the 1756-L6x series? The only one I can see at the moment is if you use the serial port on the 1756-L6x series since the 1756-L7x does not have one.

Thanks in advance for any further input.

Greg

Firmware revision might be the only potential major gotcha. The earliest (and only at this point) firmware revision that you can use with the L71 is v20.

Also to note, there is no serial port anymore (USB instead) and the CompactFlash port has been swapped for a SecureDigital port. It comes with a 1gb card which is also a plus.

Yesterday: "Why don't you have USB on the controller ?" "Why do you use CompactFlash ?" "I want more performance !" "What do you mean I have to buy the memory card separately ?!"

Today: "Why are you FORCING me to use these new controllers ?"

:ROFLMAO:

We're using L7x and CompactLogix 537x for all new projects. We've just adopted POINT and the 1734-232ASC module for our serial port (mostly barcode) needs.

Last edited:
Be careful for what you ask for, you might just get it! Yeah, who wants more performance at less cost! :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday: "Why don't you have USB on the controller ?" "Why do you use CompactFlash ?" "I want more performance !" "What do you mean I have to buy the memory card separately ?!"

Haha, well said!

We're using L7x and CompactLogix 537x for all new projects. We've just adopted POINT and the 1734-232ASC module for our serial port (mostly barcode) needs.

Very nice!

However, Rockwell is certainly not "forcing" anyone to do anything. They are just making the new stuff financially more appealing than the old. They've been doing it for years and considering the industry, it's probably the only way to get people to move forward. Nobody likes change, but everybody likes cheap! (In this instance cheap is defined as: The new model being more cost effective than the old).

Ken, your right, but changes should be gradual not like that i.e. new models cheaper than old ones. Definitively last SLC I bought was more than 6 years ago, only use compactlogix, controllogix and ML1400, one of these days I´ll try new 800 series.

Ken, your right, but changes should be gradual not like that i.e. new models cheaper than old ones. Definitively last SLC I bought was more than 6 years ago, only use compactlogix, controllogix and ML1400, one of these days I´ll try new 800 series.

I fail to understand what the problem really is? So the new stuff is cheaper than the old, the old is still available and it's not like there are substantially different features between an L61 and L71 (serial port?? really??). Granted you HAVE to use firmware V20, but I still fail to understand why it's such a hard change?? It has to be close to 2 years that they have been rolling out the L7x series of processors so how people didn't see this coming is a mystery to me. How gradual to you want?

The earliest (and only at this point) firmware revision that you can use with the L71 is v20..

I use V19 with all the L7x, I have a lot of them for sale... the new 1769-L3xER (CompactLogix) can only be programmed with V20

The L7's are great, you can flash them in about 30 sec via the USB

I use V19 with all the L7x, I have a lot of them for sale... the new 1769-L3xER (CompactLogix) can only be programmed with V20

The L7's are great, you can flash them in about 30 sec via the USB

Logix5000 would only let me pick V20 for the L71. I think that particular processor was released later than the others.

Strange... I used ControlFlash and loaded a 1756-L75 today with V19, it was made late 2011

One thing.... I don't have V20 even loaded on that PC (maybe ?)

EDIT: I think they may have come out with Series B on some, maybe they are V20 and later

Dustin is right on.

1756-L7x releases were:

V18 added support for 1756-L73 and -L75
V19 added support for 1756-L72 and -L74
V20 added support for 1756-L71