Learning basic HMI and plc

Malador

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm a power plant electrician, and I'd like to learn more about plcs and HMIs. Do you guys think buying a click micro plc and a c-mor EA1-T4CL would be beneficial? Or there better ways to spend the money to learn the skills? I was thinking about doing simple home automation with them, such a sprinkler system and heating/ac. We have allen bradley at work, and learning on them would be Ideal. But the AB stuff is really out of my price range.

Thanks!

Quick back ground

I've taken a few couple of night classes at the local community college. One on the allen bradley PLC 5, and one on the 500's.

As far has experience I've just installed micro PLC's to control sump pumps, and other equally simple projects.

Thanks again!

We have allen bradley at work, and learning on them would be Ideal. But the AB stuff is really out of my price range.
The Automation Direct software has a lot of differences from the Allen Bradley RSLogix. Have you considered buying a used Micrologix 1000 and then downloading the free version of RSLogix (which will run the Micrologix 1000)? You can also find many low-priced used SLC 500's on EBay and other sites.

The Automation Direct software has a lot of differences from the Allen Bradley RSLogix. Have you considered buying a used Micrologix 1000 and then downloading the free version of RSLogix (which will run the Micrologix 1000)? You can also find many low-priced used SLC 500's on EBay and other sites.

The biggest problem is the software license. AB knows their stuff is good and charges a pretty high premium.

I'm going to check into the micrologix today though. I just downloaded the software for it, and at a glance it looks a lot like the slc 500.

Thanks

You can use the Free RSLogix 500 on all MicroLogix 1000 and 1100, it is the same software as the programming for SLC's

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmabl...downloads.html

You will need RSLinx and RSLogix

Quote:
Software
Free Starter Programming Software for MicroLogix 1000 and 1100
RSLogix Micro Starter Lite (v8.30) without RSLinx — for offline programming (English) [30MB EXE]
RSLinx Lite software - needed for online programming [365MB EXE]

That said, the Clicks are great little PLC's and the software is nice...

Is good to know at least one person likes them.
I like the Click just fine and even have the Click software loaded on my home computer, along with Automation Direct DL-06 and DL-205 software, and several other PLC brands.

I was just pointing out that, if you are learning in order to use the PLCs at your workplace, then learning the Click will not get you where you need to be, if your workplace is 100% Allen Bradley PLCs.

PS: geniusintraining can sell you a AB PLC trainer unit at a good price.
http://www.ind-concepts.com/

Last edited:
the click as well as all the AD plcs are great! however you could go with a micrologix and the c more. I havent seen it yet but I think bernie has a topic on his site about the diff. between ab and ad programing. sounds like your in for some fun!!!
here is his link:
http://www.theplcguy.com/ABtoAD/Introduction.htm

Last edited:
I think it needs to be said here:

- THANK YOU - I am an engineer at a power plant and I WISH all my tech's/Electricians showed some desire to learn more about PLC's (especially when I am spoonfeeding them troubleshooting help...). When you increase your value to the company, they are more willing to help you out (at least, thats how I roll...). I know that if you are in a Union shop that things become tricky, but trust that stuff like this doesnt go unnoticed.

That being said, I'd 2nd the emotion that you really need AB stuff to practice on if you want to come in handy at work. The click will help teach fundamentals, but I think you already have a handle on that stuff- What you want is to be able to dial in, look at a program, and see what's happening, fix the problem, and then modify the logic to either make sure it doesnt happen again, or provide a better warning in the future. The goal is to have your PLC's set up so well that you never need that laptop...

Look for HMI screens around your plant, those IMHO have a steeper learning curve than the PLC's - Wonderware, iFix, C-more, do you guys have a DCS system (a whole other ball of wax...) - you are gonna need a mentor (hang around the integrator next time a capital project comes through...) or specific training for those, at a minimum you'll need a completed project to look at and learn from.

I assume that you've looked to your local leadership - do they have any spare PLC's in a storeroom or hidden away stashed somewhere ? (our I&C shop has a BIG stash of parts just in case...) - those are free and easy to get a hold of, and if you guys have a bunch of micrologix's running equipment, you should have at least one spare just in case.

Lastly - I dream of having the time at home (3 young children, needy motorcycle, beautiful wife...) to spend playing with a PLC and HMI at home to do christmas lights, basic home automation or HVAC tasks... keep with it.

-John

Look for HMI screens around your plant, those IMHO have a steeper learning curve than the PLC's - Wonderware, iFix, C-more, do you guys have a DCS system (a whole other ball of wax...) -

-John

I don't think we have DCS, at least I don't know what it is, but we do use IFix.

I think it needs to be said here:

I assume that you've looked to your local leadership - do they have any spare PLC's in a storeroom or hidden away stashed somewhere ? (our I&C shop has a BIG stash of parts just in case...) - those are free and easy to get a hold of, and if you guys have a bunch of micrologix's running equipment, you should have at least one spare just in case.

-John

We have tons of PLC 5, some control logix, and older siemens(i think) laying around. But again it's the license issue. No micrologix spares, I'm trying to get them let me use them a current project, but it's not looking promising.

Thanks for all your insight.

Thanks for everyone's help! I really appreciate it.

I ordered a c-mor 6" color HMI(EA1-T6CL), and click plc(C0-02DR-D) for now. I'll try and get my work to buy a micrologix set up. If they won't, I'll spring for that later.