CompactLogix Motion Controller Programming

cmac2425

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to connect to a 1769-L18-ERM-BB1B CompactLogix motion controller. I will be attaching a panelview plus 600 and 2 kinetix drives with servo motors to this PLC to be used in a small winding demonstration. I click new project and enter my controller information just like I would for a controllogix processor and it gives me the error that the module profile is not installed. Where can I find this module profile and is it for my PLC? I am running v20 of Logix 5000 with version 21 of the PLC. Thanks for any help in advance.

Re:

I am sorry I put the wrong revisions down. For Logix I am using 20.01.00 and for the PLC I am using 20.12.79.

Re:

I have done exactly what the .pdf has stated, just like I have for previous controller programming. It still says that there is a module profile missing or it has not been installed yet. I have the most current revisions for the controller and programming software so I don't know what I could be missing. Any ideas?

I am using Kinetix 350 Single Axis Ethernet drives. Part number 2097-v31pr2-lm. I haven't even connected them yet because I can't even place my controller in the tree to even start a project.

Actually the .zip file includes an Install.exe.
There is no need of RSL5K import; just run the executable and all Kinetix modules will be installed.

I am using Kinetix 350 Single Axis Ethernet drives. Part number 2097-v31pr2-lm. I haven't even connected them yet because I can't even place my controller in the tree to even start a project.

Hold on a second...You can't choose the at-hand controller to start-up the project?

I am running RSL5K Rev.20.00 and File/New gives me the choice of a 1769-L18-ERM-BB1B controller! Have you checked all the hardware options when installing the software?

Last edited:
Yes when I try to select the controller that I am using it says there is no module profile installed. I can't even start the project because it won't accept my controller. I am using a more updated version of logix 5000 than you and it still doesn't work.:mad:

Probably RSL5K hasn't installed properly/completely.
Do you have the installation DVD/downloaded .zip?
Try running it again and when prompted about the hardware/module profiles "check" all the pertaining items; the .exe lets the user choose various combinations depending of the every day needs.
Not choosing all the module profiles or taking the default "checks" will render the software deployment more nimble than the full installation will (of course at the detriment of not having a "maybe" needed profile!).
If this doesn't solve it and if you have a TechConnect contract, you could download the RSL5K Rev.20.01/20.00 at:

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

it is some 2.5GB so it will take a while...:cry:

Install it with all the available options. It might be a little slower to open up but at least you'll(hopefully) have everything needed.

I will go through the installation again and make sure it installs the v20 motion firmware. Maybe there is a corrupt files or something. Thanks for all your help through this.

I have reinstalled v20 firmware from the CD. I went back into the installation CD after I installed it and it says I can still install the firmware. Obviously it is not installing the firmware if it still letting me install it when I go back to the CD. I have "installed" the software 4 times now, every time it says it's completed, and every time I go back in it is still there. This is my assumption why I cannot install the PLC to my organization tree. Have you ever run into this problem? Could this be a Rockwell file problem?o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

This is weird.o_O
Are you using the same DVD as the original install? Maybe it's a dud!o_O🔨
Do you have any other RSL5K revisions installed?
What OS are you running?