Help uploading program from 1747-L40A

linux_tyro

Hello friends,

I have been asked to attempt an upload on an old 1747-l40A SLC500 fixed processor PLC. With flashing fault light.

Our Rslinx 2.51.00.21
Rslgix 500 7.20.00

Running a Gateway PC with XP service pack two. We rolled back from SP3 at the suggustion of AB remote tech support. Started with a 1747-UIC setup and was able to obtain comms but could not upload program without a compile error. Think it was -20 or -23, can't remember.

AB remote support suggested the uploadutility contained in TN21960 Still no luck with upload and compile.

AB remote support suggested using a 1747-PIC and serial port and old DOS based PC. Borrowed some PIC cables but haven't found and old win95/98 pc yet. Tried my pc with serial port and utility in a dos window. AB ensured me that the upload utility contains PIC drivers but I couldn't get any connections until downloading RSlinx Lite from AB.

Now Super Who, from within the utility, shows the PIC is communicating with sent and rcvd packets but the PLC never shows up. Hence no comms or upload.

Hoping somebody here has achieved this feat and can offer some pointers. Sadly AB remote tech support doesn't have much more to offer other than a 50% chance the program is still even there.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

connection settings

i have just been playing around with the 1747-UIC cable
and an AB 1747-L40A
i could not connect directly at first , but i have found that if you load the driver 'AB-UIC-1 DH485'
and set it for whatever comm port your using.
close the driver configuration and then right click the new UIC driver in the right side of the browser it will have a list of options; one being properties
click that and a window will pop up, click the second tab of that window
'advanced browse settings'
click the force network type checkbox. and choose 'DF1 (Master/or slave)

click ok and it should find the PLC rather quickly.
at least it did for me.
cheers and good luck to the next person with these troubleshooting issues

I have an slc500 programmable controller 1747-l40a and i am very new to these things. I need to buy cables but i do not know what type of cable to buy.can someone help me with the types of cables to buy

Last edited:
My Solution

I ran in to this exact problem a while back.

I deleted the XP SP3 serial port driver and replaced it with the SP1 driver.

Using the 1747-PIC I have had no issues since.

As reminded many times again and again, real serial ports work best, but adapters (Belkin-for me) do work.

hello everyone,

I have a Fixed SLC500 that uses a 1747-PIC to connect but I am having troubles seeing it in RSlinxLite 2.20.01 and my PC is Microsoft Windows 95 so the new OS should't be an issue. I set up the driver 1747-PIC/ACI+ but still will not see the processor?? My baud rate is 9600 so i set the driver and comm port correctly. Any ideas or tips/ tricks i am missing.

thanks

Virtually all DH485 networks run at 19200 baud... are you sure yours runs at 9600 ? It's possible but it is very uncommon.