Ethernet To Serial

Secret

Morning,

I have a customer that runs a 5/04 and PV550 over DH+. He now wants this machine to be connected to the network for fault finding and status checking. The options I can see are:

1/ replace the 5/04 with a 5/05 and replace the screen with a PV+ (ethernet or serial comms)
2/ leave as is and use a serial to ethernet converter from the 5/04.

Option 1 is straightfoward but costly.
Option 2 is very much cheaper, means no mucking about with either program but I have never used one. How well do these units work? Are there any types to avoid? Are they as simple as give it an IP address, sets the serial comms up and plug it in?

Or any other options I haven't thought of?

Cheers for your help

Hello,

I have sold a lot of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/370407766215

This will convert your DH+ to Ethernet and work very good

You can see the list of parts needed/used they are easy to setup, you should be able to find the parts on that side of the pond and save them some money

Mickey,

This is more along the lines I was thinking, with a big saving.

Any experiance of them?

How does it work in terms of RSLinx, configure it as an ethernet port then it 'see's through it'?

Cheers

the righ ab stuff net eni is proably the best supported option

you configure it using a small ab soft to set ip and you select connector and rs232 or 485 and you're done...

1761-NET-ENI

I have them also :) ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Bradl...stems_PLCs&hash=item3a676d446b#ht_2090wt_1163

But I have only used them on the MicroLogix line and never used them on a PanelView (did not know it would work) does your PV have a serial port? and is it DF1 also? some PV's only have DH+ then you would need a DH+ to Ethernet OR if you could do some sort of pass-threw on the 5/04?

The DH+ bridge that I sell are more for Networks that have a few nodes... so if you put 10 nodes of DH+ on to the Ethernet then the DH+ bridge would be the better way

So once again Mickey has point out a better option if it will work

I have them also :) ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Bradl...stems_PLCs&hash=item3a676d446b#ht_2090wt_1163

But I have only used them on the MicroLogix line and never used them on a PanelView (did not know it would work) does your PV have a serial port? and is it DF1 also? some PV's only have DH+ then you would need a DH+ to Ethernet OR if you could do some sort of pass-threw on the 5/04?

The DH+ bridge that I sell are more for Networks that have a few nodes... so if you put 10 nodes of DH+ on to the Ethernet then the DH+ bridge would be the better way

So once again Mickey has point out a better option if it will work

Hi,

If using one of these I would leave the 5/04 and PV550 as they are and connect the 5/04 onto the ethernet network from the serial port via the 1761-NET-ENI.

Cheers

Only problem with the NET ENI's are they only support 4 simultaneous connections. If you have an HMI it uses two so that leaves you little room for ethernet messaging or panelviews. The Digi IA I believe supports 64.

Only problem with the NET ENI's are they only support 4 simultaneous connections. If you have an HMI it uses two so that leaves you little room for ethernet messaging or panelviews. The Digi IA I believe supports 64.

Hi, not sure I understand. I only want connection to the PLC through the ethernet/NET ENI/serial port for fault finding and status logging. The HMI (PV) is on a one to one (PLC to PV) via DH+

i don't see any advantage of having an old panel builder programmed pv550 to be connected to ethernet....so only the plc should be there as asked....The net eni remain the perfect tool

The Digi One IAP is superior to the NET-ENI. It's smaller, faster, cheaper, supports more TCP connections, and can connect up to two serial devices. They also hold up to the heat a lot better, and recover from network storms without a power cycle 99% of the time.

I can't think of any reason to choose the NET-ENI over the Digi except for that little octagonal logo.

If you have an existing DH+ network between several PLC's ,
then the Contro Logix's gateway shown in post 2, will get all the DH+ network accessible on the ethernet all in one shot.

The NetENI or Digi only do one at a time. via the serial port.