factoryTalk Parameter Confirmation

here a different question that might help me out.
It seems as if paramter passing needs to have tags from the PLC. how can I pass just TEXT? I have a valve template, and I want to pass the type of valve in text. will I need to create a PLC tag for this and link that value? or is there a way to specify TEXT rather than TAG in the parameter file? I've tried many things..... creating a tag isnt ideal but its what makes most sense at this point

thanks

here a different question that might help me out.
It seems as if paramter passing needs to have tags from the PLC. how can I pass just TEXT? I have a valve template, and I want to pass the type of valve in text. will I need to create a PLC tag for this and link that value? or is there a way to specify TEXT rather than TAG in the parameter file? I've tried many things..... creating a tag isnt ideal but its what makes most sense at this point

thanks

I'm not 100% sure if I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, but can't you just create an internal memory tag on the PV called "ValveType1", with data type as STRING, then just enter in the valve type.

Then in your parameter file you can reference this internal memory tag, and have a string text field on your valve popup screen pointing to this parameter.