Ethernet switch help!

baduc11

Our current plant is running on DH+ and we are trying to slowly change everything over to ethernet. We have 1 complete line already set up on ethernet and we added a unmanaged hub in ceiling where we have a control logix rack we are using for communacation purposes only. We simply added a hub and added a ethernet bridge in chassis, this works however this is a very slow connection "actually our DH+ is much faster, we cannot do any edits online without being booted", I think we need a managed switch but not sure how to go about it or what type of switch we need? Fixed or Modular? :unsure::unsure:

baduc11,
If it's a HUB, than that's your problem. A hub simply retransmits everything coming in on a port to EVERY other port; thus collisions can and do occur, slowing down coms.

A SWITCH routes traffic from the incoming port only to the port(s) that require the information. Since a switch is no longer a party line, traffic can't step on each other like it can with a hub.

I'm not sure about the particular requirements for AB gear, but I'd start with an un-managed switch as a test and see what happens (un-managed switches are usually cheaper). Maybe others with AB experience can comment on more specifics.

-rpoet

Rpoet,

Thanks! So I should mount a switch in the same panel? would it be ok to still use the enthernet bridge in our rs 5000 chassis? Just run that to the switch as well?

Rpoet,

Thanks! So I should mount a switch in the same panel? would it be ok to still use the enthernet bridge in our rs 5000 chassis? Just run that to the switch as well?

Use a switch instead of a hub. As for how your AB equipment gets hooked up, others will have to chime in; I'm not an AB guy.

-rpoet

Our current plant is running on DH+ and we are trying to slowly change everything over to ethernet. We have 1 complete line already set up on ethernet and we added a unmanaged hub in ceiling where we have a control logix rack we are using for communacation purposes only. We simply added a hub and added a ethernet bridge in chassis, this works however this is a very slow connection "actually our DH+ is much faster, we cannot do any edits online without being booted", I think we need a managed switch but not sure how to go about it or what type of switch we need? Fixed or Modular? :unsure::unsure:

It depends of how many patches are currently plugged into the hub, current and future topology, intended use, etc., etc....

I guess you would need a managed switch to start with.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Networks-and-Communications/Stratix-6000-Ethernet-Switches has up to 8 available ports.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Networks-and-Communications/Stratix-8000-Ethernet-Switches has up to 10 embedded ports and could expand up to 26 ports,

You will also have to take in consideration that Ethernet networks (EtherNet/IP included) cannot be prioritized unless managed via switches.
Even when using a switch though, you will have to segregate highly time critical data (I/O, Produced/Consumed) from time critical one (HMI, Explicit Messaging) or from software access connections.
You will have to use diferent subnets for every type of data to be transfered (hence you will need dedicated CLX chassis bridges).
You might want to (this one time only!!!;)) ask your IT department for help when laying out your topology.

baduc11

You for sure need a switch and not a hub but I doubt very much that you have a hub as you can't find them local any more. You need a switch and a managed switch would be better but may not be a must have it just depends on what you are connecting now and what you plan to connect.

A managed switch givs you great diagnostics and that is worth a lot if the switch is in the ceiling. IMO that is a bad place to stick a switch. Cat 5e /6 wiring is cheap and i would reloacate that if it were me. Troubleshooting a switch mounted in the ceiling in the middle of the night is not fun. I tell your from personal experience.

As Ozee mentioned also if you have slc 5/05 units your linx setting tdo play a large factor in staying connected so if you have slc on ethernet follow the link he provided.