Ethernet Switch

Engineer_UA

Hello,
Is it true that a typical ethernet switch can manage several communications protocol as part of its functionality. For example, it can route data on DNP3 and Ethernet/IP networks all though a single switch.
Thanks,
EE

Yes.
An ethernet network with its cables and switches establishes the transport layer with which two devices can exchange bytes between them, the protocol they use to communicate is independent of cables and switches, or whether the network is wired or wireless

Switches operate at layer 2 of the OSI stack. At this level, the protocol(s) being used does not matter. These might be called switches or "layer-2 switches". Although, layer-2 is really a redundant term since every switch supports this layer. The term is typically used to separate standard switches from layer-3 switches.

Smarter layer-2 switches (aka managed switches) may have features to recognize certain types of data and perform action on that data. That might be prioritizing or maybe even discarding that data.

Some switches are called "multi-layer" or "layer-3" switches. These introduce some routing capabilities that previously required routers.

In summary, an Ethernet switch can really handle any Ethernet traffic, whatever protocol is being used. But it might have special features to allow it to do more with certain data types.

OG