How to increase my skills

jackhenkel

I am at work today with not much going on at the moment. I am a new Engineer, I've been here for 9 months. I was wondering what types of things I can do to become better with my Logix 5000. Are there any ways to write practice programs and see them work. I am looking for non-expensive ideas. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

I am working on a project that will not be done till November. I bought the the Logix 5561 processor and rack first ,so I can have the maintenance staff write their own programs , download , watch data shift , etc. If you had another processor on the shelf , you can experiment .

I am looking for non-expensive ideas.

quick question: what do you mean by "non-expensive" ? ... if you can come up with about $2,500 then I recommend that you invest in putting together a used "bench top" ControlLogix setup to use for your personal training purposes ...

the main idea is that you seem to already have the RSLogix5000 software available – which is a BIG advantage in your favor ... you might also have access to some of your company's spare or "scrap bin" hardware components ... specifically, an output module which has two or three bad output circuits might not be usable for production purposes – but would perfectly acceptable for use in a training setup ...

the picture at the link below might give you some ideas ... I bought all of the ControlLogix components shown there for roughly $2,500 on eBay ... this includes AC and DC inputs; AC outputs; analog inputs and outputs; Data Highway Plus and Remote I/O capability; Ethernet connectivity; a processor; power supply; and chassis ... naturally you wouldn't have to buy everything at first – so I'm just mentioning the price to let you know what might eventually be involved ...

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/full_workstation_clx_full.jpg

personally I'd shy away from the "emulator" type software solutions – mainly because those systems normally won't handle many of the more advanced concepts that you'll want to work with ...

the main idea is that this stuff is like learning to play the piano ... no matter what you learn – and where you learn it – you still need hands-on practice to improve and maintain your skills ...

good luck with your studies ...