Is this a ridiculous plan? Noob Question

sierraht

So here is my plan for getting into the industrial electronics field:

Background--

I currently own my own business doing low voltage work (since 2003.) I have been doing this work for a long time and am pretty good at it. I mainly do audio/video/voice/data and home automation in custom homes. But I need/want a change. So the point here is that I am not totally green to construction.

I am green to PLCs/industrial automation however. I recently attended three day training for the SCADA Pak 60 to see if my interest remained and if I could "get it." I didn't leave a PLC programmer obviously but I understood pretty much everything.

So here is my plan--
Find a means to formally educate myself in industrial electronics (proving to be difficult in my situation--see other posts.) Local community college seems like the best option. This is in process.

Here is where you all may start laughing: Once I get going with the education (a few months in) I thought I would approach the automation companies in my area and see about entry level positions on an as needed basis like for a start up of a sewer treatment plant. I would not be seeking work programming PLCs or anything like that, more in the lines of pulling wire, installing equipment under direct supervision etc.

My angle would be that they wouldn't need to "hire" me because I have my C7 license and am insured etc. I gotta get my foot in the door some way right?

Does this sound crazy? Please feel free to build up your self esteem at my expense :)

Just thinking from the devil's advocate side of things:

Would your C7 only apply if you were just installing low voltage (ethernet, signaling) cabling? I only work for a C10. Would hate to see you put your license in jeopardy if you rub someone the wrong way. Since you wouldn't be able to contract based on your C7 you would (according to law) need to join an apprenticeship program (or you could be like the 50-70% of electricians in CA who gave the state the bird...) though it would only get the "employer" in trouble if you didn't. I'm a design/CAD guy and only tell people where to land the wires.

Barring that good luck.

blackandredwarrior,

That's something I am not sure of. You probably saved me from looking like an idiot! I have run into a few technicians who said they were classified as low voltage so I assumed it was. But also have spoke with electricians who install PLCs. Also I made the assumption because the job descriptions I have seen all seem to indicate they are electronic technician positions and don't emphasize electrical. So I really don't know.

Also the union's position on this is difficult for me to figure out too. I actually spoke with a couple of locals and really didn't get a solid answer from them. I have no problem joining the apprenticeship program actually if that is what it takes. One thing is for sure if a project has PLCs installed there is a good chance it's a Union job.

I guess these are questions for my informational interviews. One thing is for sure I won't be talking to anyone about subcontracting until I find this out.

Can anyone else speak to this? What aspects of PLCs are classified as electrical vs low voltage?

Thx