OT : MCC Wiring

Tim Ganz

We are installing more roof fans in my building and we are using SMC-3 soft starts to run them. Where there are several fans close by in a group we were thingking of pwering them from a local MCC that has lots of free buckets.

One of the guys here has a large bucket that has a nema reversing starter in it and he wants to remove the reversing starter and put 4 soft starts in it with start stop pushbuttons on the front of the bucket and have a 480 x 120 trans former in it for control voltage.

This will all fit and work but is it correct and legal? I don't think so but he says it is and has been it much longer than I have. Just want to know what is correct?

I thought it was only supposed to be one motor control per bucket. In this case he is planning to use the bucket as a small control panel?

Tim your MCC is most likely UL listed and any modification of it would void that listing. If you are planning on doing this keep in mind the liability of doing so! Is the mcc within site of the fans to provide disconnect means?

No the MCC is not within site so we will have a non fused disconnect at each fan.

I guess it would be no different than changing a bucket from a ab starter to a siemens starter if one failed. No problem with that right?

It is the putting more than 1 starter or controlled motor in 1 bucket that concerns me.

Can you put more than 1 starter in a bucket? Say I have a bucket with 60 amp disconnect can I place these 4 starter in that bucket with start stop buttons for each and line side fusing for each?