MicroLogix 1500

berrabbit5849

When I connect to the processor and do an UPLOAD I do not see any of my I/O descriptors. Do I have to open the program in RSlogix500 first and then do an upload to get the descriptors ?

How can I connect my PLC to a desktop computer located about 50 ft. apart without a serial port on the desktop ?

The program descriptions are NOT stored in the processor. They only exist in the project files on your PC. You need to have your offline project open an then do an upload.

I would get the 1500 on Ethernet.

How can I connect my PLC to a desktop computer located about 50 ft. apart without a serial port on the desktop ?
I'd suggest a 50-foot serial cable plus USB-serial converter for your PC. I've done 25-foot runs before without an issue and I'd expect that 50 would be OK. If you have problems, try turning down the baud rate. Putting the 1500 on Ethernet would require a 1761-NET-ENI converter (~$600).