linux and allen bradley, can it work

gjnj1

G
Is there a way to program AB SLC 500
with open source software and not have to buy RS link

Not at this moment in history.

Probably not ever.

To do it, someone would first need to reverse-engineer the commands and microcode that RSLogix sends to the processor to create and manipulate the program.

Then they would need to create a program to generate those codes.

Then, they need to get a Linux-based driver (that does exist - Ron Gage's ABEL.ZIP, but that's only for ethernet (which will get you the SLC 5/05). AB has published the DF1 protocol (at least for data read/writes. It may be different for programming instructions.) So a Linux version also may exist (but that will only get you some SLC 5/03 and 5/04. You still lack a communication method for SLC 500, 5/01, 5/02 and the rest of the 5/03s ).

And after all that work (which will be done without thought of compensation, since the source will be published), they'll have to fight off Rockwell's lawyers who will claim copywrite infringement.

Whether Rockwell wins or not, there will be an out-of-pocket cost in fighting the suit.

And for what? There's no profit in it, so no company will be interested. By the time you're done, Rockwell will probably come out with a new version (5/06? Series E? OS-antilinux?) that you'd have to reverse engineer.

Those few who might do it just as an exercise are probably working on inventing something new (the Linux PLC) instead of hacking something old.

If there's a market, I'm sure Rockwell will develop a Linux version or RSLinx. But even then it probably won't be open source (or free). If for no other reason to protect the PLC from unlawful entry by the disgruntled. (I'm not saying that it's all that protected now, only that the entrance fee is prohibitive)

Is there a way to program AB SLC 500
with open source software and not have to buy RS link

Where there's a will there's a way. Has it been done yet? I don't think so. As Allen says, not very likely either since it would be no small task and by the time a working version was ready there may be very few new SLC installations since AB's plan for your future is with the ControlLogix family.

And after all that work ..., they'll have to fight off Rockwell's lawyers who will claim copywrite infringement.

Not saying that it would never happen, but ... there were many alternative brands of programming packages for the PLC2, less for the PLC3, and, as far as I know, only one for PLC5 and 5/250. I don't think any of the authors had copyright hassles. I think all of the packages were reverse engineered - not a huge job for the PLC2 which probably accounts for there being so many and, of course, they were competing against the -T3 terminal and a tape deck.

You don't need to buy RsLinx. There is a free version.

The SLC platform is not going away soon. AB's investment in the Micrologix family which uses the SLC software has been substantial recently. ControlLogix is meant to replace the PLC-5. Which also is showing no signs of going away.

There seems to be program for Linux to emulate Windows, it's called WINE. I heard most Windows programs could in this way be run under Linux. If it works with the AB soft, I'm interested to hear from you!