SLC5/05 Slow Ethernet

KEN_KACEL

The system has 4 SLC5/05s L553 series C and 8 PV+ HMIs and 1 Versa View Box. There is Fiber and a Hirschmann MICE on the LAN. With all this on the Ethernet LAN the communications has slowed to where the pushbuttons respond very sluggishly, the HMI screen updates take 6 to 10 seconds. Any thoughts to speeding this ethernet system up. The LAN needs to grow by 3 Controllogix 5000 and 6 more PV+ HMIs. What cuases it to slow to a crawl? It takes 1_1/2 hr to save the program through the RSlogix500. AQlso getting "edit error".o_O

had simlar issue about a month ago i tried diffent cables about everything you could think of then i did a point to point hook up and promblem went away well anyway to make long story short it was the hub that was bad all lights on hub where blinking like everything was fine but when new hub installed all problems went away hope this helps

The SLC has a limited number of connections and all those panelviews may be pushing you to the edge. If you could use one RSLinx Gateway installation to do all the polling of the SLC, then share that via DDE/OPC to the other devices it would reduce the number of required connctions. I am not sure that's possible with the PV+.

If you have spare horsepower in a Logix CPU, you might do better to have it poll the SLC and let the PV+ units read data from it where the connection limit is much greater.

I think you can view the connection statistics in a web browser pointed to the SLC IP address.

Make sure S:2/15 is cleared so the 5/05 can service more than one Ethernet comm request per scan. It's like night and day on a sluggish system when that bit is set or not.

It can just be set to 0 in the Status File.
Another note: I've monitored the Comms Pending bits (S:2/5 & S:2/7) and executed an SVC instruction as well to try and speed communications up. I "sprinkle" that rung at various points throughout the program scan. Not sure is if it makes a big difference.