Factorytalk View studio (.apa files)

mandi

Hi there,

I am new to FT view studio and I don't know how to save the .apa files (that are by default saved in archive) into a USB. I have been reading manual and user's guide, but didn't help.

I would really appreciate any information.

The .apa file is just an ordinary file as far as saving. Make multiple copies if you need for safekeeping. When it comes time to re-use it just Restore it using the same File manager which you used to create it as a backup. The one file contains all the information of a project.

When you use Restore the file doesn't have to be in the Archive folder. At that time just browse to wherever a copy of the file is stored. The whole directory and registry entries will be recreated.

Last edited:
After a Restore check the communication links. If the Restore is to a different computer and you are using passwords as access levels re-check those. They will probably have to be re-assigned.

FT .apa files

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply and for really helpful information, but I still have smth I don't understand. Can I save this .apa file to any USB or any other saving format and how?

Thanks for your time.

Use your ordinary file cut/copy and save commands just like any other file. Leave a copy in 'Archive' and save another copy to your USB flash drive or some other secure location as a backup. Since it's already in a compressed format you won't gain much by using a zip utility on it. And, as mentioned, the apa is the only proper way to transport a project from one PC to another.

1. Start > Programs > Rockwell Software > FactoryTalk View > Tools > Application Manager
  2. Select Machine Edition and click Next
  3. Select Backup Application and click Next
  4. Select the project to be backed up and click Next
  5. Enter the name to be used for the file
  6. Select where you want to store the backup. I usually save to my Desktop and then use Windows Explorer to copy to a USB or network location
  7. Transfer the file to the computer you wish to load it to
  8. Double-click on the .APA file to launch the restore process
  9. The file name will be selected but you must choose whether you wish to restore the security settings including usernames and passwords contained within the application. Click Next
  10. Type the name you wish to apply to the new application. This name cannot conflict with an existing application.
If moving the file to another computer you will want to use the restore application and FactoryTalk Local Directory. If the application has no user accounts or security settings you can use the default setting to just restore the application

If you restore the Local Directory, you will be logged out of the FactoryTalk Directory and be prompted for login credentials. You can login using your Windows user name and password. If you are an Administrator on your Windows machine, you are also an Administrator on the FactoryTalk Local Directory.

Hope that helps!

OG

FT view

Thanks a lot.

I tried to back it up in desktop and it didn't allow me. However, once I will be at work, I will try again.

Have a nice week ahead.

Mandi

Make sure you don't have the file open when you attempt to backup.

Also, if you are "not allowed", please explain what that means. Describe what you were doing and the error message you receive.

OG