communicate with slc 5/04

beardog

I have a SLC 5/04 PLC and CP3 cable and DF1 selected in RSlinx, when I do auto-configure it says failed to find baud and parity! check all cables and switch settings! I have baud set to 19200, parity none, stop bits 1, station number 00, error checking crc, protocol full duplex, also the battery light is on and DH+. I want to download the program before I change the battery but I cannot see the processor. I have two cp3 cables so I am sure they are not both bad. I also have 1747-UIC cable for USB and still can't see processor.

I have a SLC 5/04 PLC and CP3 cable and DF1 selected in RSlinx, when I do auto-configure it says failed to find baud and parity! check all cables and switch settings!

With some types of USB to serial converters, autoconfigure may not work consistently. Are you using a real serial port or a converter?

beardog said:
I have baud set to 19200, parity none, stop bits 1, station number 00, error checking crc, protocol full duplex,

That all looks fine for a typical DF1 connection.

beardog said:
also the battery light is on and DH+. I want to download the program before I change the battery but I cannot see the processor.

I would think that you would want to Upload (to your PC) the program before changing the battery, just as insurance...even with no battery the SLC can hold its program in memory for at least 30 minutes...I have seen the onboard cap in a new processor hold the program over night with no battery installed. There are other things that could go wrong and wipe out the program, so I think getting a fresh copy up front is still a wise move.

With a/b stuff, download, means send a program to the processor and overwrite whatever it contains. Be careful with these terms.

beardog said:
I have two cp3 cables so I am sure they are not both bad. I also have 1747-UIC cable for USB and still can't see processor.

The 1747-UIC is used for DH485 connections, not DF1.

The SLC serial port can be set up several different ways. it might be set for DF1, DH485, or User (ASCII) mode.

I would suggest (if using a USB to RS232 converter) that you try manually changing the baud rate and hitting OK, then open a RSWho window after each adjustment and look for it to appear under your DF1 driver. Give it a few seconds to appear. Also, turning off autobrowse and using the Refresh button to manually force the driver to browse is sometimes helpful.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant upload and used cp3 for df1 and my uic driver for uic converter, I have tried both ways, neither seem to work when I do RSwho I will have to try your suggestion and manually change baud

... used cp3 for df1 and my uic driver for uic converter, I have tried both ways, neither seem to work when I do RSwho I will have to try your suggestion and manually change baud

I don't understand what you mean by both ways. You tried the UIC with the CP3 cable (which would only work if the SLC serial port is set up for DH485...much less common than DF1).

What is the 2nd way that you tried?

The RS232 port may be configured for DH485. With nothing plugged into the port, watch the RS232 light. Does it stay out or does it flash once in a while?

uic with uic driver and cp3 cable with df1 driver. two different drivers
The UIC device will only communicate with the SLC if its serial port is set up for DH485.

This is likely your problem.

If (likely) the SLC serial port is configured for DF1, you need a serial port, or USB to serial converter and the DF1 driver (and the CP3 cable).