SLC 500 won't communicate

PLC_4_Ray

Hi everyone, I have an AB 1747-L20B PLC that has a CPU fault, I am trying to connect to it with RSLogix 500 Pro to see what the fault is and to hopefully clear it so I can use it. I am using a 1747-PIC to connect. The battery is good. I have tried with and without a null modem. I am out of ideas, any help will be much appreciated, thank you.:)

Welcome to the Forum !

Give as much information as you can on your setup and folks can help you narrow down the problem.

The modern way to connect to any DH485 device is the USB/DH485 interface, the 1747-UIC, but the 1747-PIC can still work if you have the right old computer equipment.

What computer OS are you using ?

The classic 1747-PIC driver doesn't work with any OS newer than Windows XP SP2 (there's a patch for XPSP3). Windows 7 or 8 or 10 is right out.

Are you using a built-in serial port or a USB or other expansion serial port device ?

The 1747-PIC driver does not work with any expansion serial ports.

What version of RSLinx Classic are you using ?

Some versions 1747-PIC drivers were better than others.

I have had problems connecting with SLC 5/2s using the 1747-PIC device and a newer versions of the RSlogic 500 software. I talked to an Allen Bradley rep and they suggested that either I use an older version of the RSlogix software (which I had) or use something else to communicate with it (like the 1747-UIC or the AIC+)

If you have tried everything that has thus far been suggested it might be that the error the PLC is experiencing is causing the lack of communication. At this point you the question would need to be asked "do you have a copy of the PLC program?" Its happened a couple of times to me. A power spike caused an error that kept it from communicating. So what do you do? In the manual for the processor it describes a way to return to factory settings. Now this whips the program. However if you cross these terminals and then load the program it normally returns you to the starting point. I hope this helps.

Glen

Hi Ken and Glen, thanks for your responses. I was trying to connect with a Windows 7 VM with RSLogix 500 Version 9.00. I don't have a 1747-UIC. Will a Windows XP VM work? I am using a desktop PC with a COM port. I have a copy of RSLogix 500 Version 6.00, when I tried to install on a VM it asked me to install .net Framework, what version should I install? I have the Installation & Operation manual, I don't have a copy of the program for the PLC. Thanks again for your help.

Well I'm 0 for 2 on you questions. I haven't used XP virtual machine before so I'M not sure. My first solution when I had this problem was to use an older that top (using Windows 98 I think) that had an old version of RSLogixs installed. The 1747-PIC worked perfectly with it. Unfortunately I do not know what version it was.

My second solution (the plastic in the laptop was falling apart) was the AIC+ device. This device requires an external power supply but allows communication through the DH485 port. My final solution (because I had a similar problem to yours on one of the fixed SLC 500s) was to replace it with a SLC 5/3...problem solved.

Wish I could have been more help,

Glen

The most practical solution would be to have an integrator with the proper tools come and try to recover the program for you.

The second most practical solution would be to use a 1747-UIC.

The 1747-PIC driver will not work with any Virtual Machine of any type, nor will it work with a Windows 7 host OS.

Where to get patch for XPSP3

I have same problem as PLC_4_Ray has.
I have Laptop OS is Win XP, SP3, I have 1747-PIC , according to you , I need patch for XPSP3 to make 1747-PIC working.can you transfer that patch to me If you have in your collection, email [email protected]
thanks
================================
Welcome to the Forum !

Give as much information as you can on your setup and folks can help you narrow down the problem.

The modern way to connect to any DH485 device is the USB/DH485 interface, the 1747-UIC, but the 1747-PIC can still work if you have the right old computer equipment.

What computer OS are you using ?

The classic 1747-PIC driver doesn't work with any OS newer than Windows XP SP2 (there's a patch for XPSP3). Windows 7 or 8 or 10 is right out.

Are you using a built-in serial port or a USB or other expansion serial port device ?

The 1747-PIC driver does not work with any expansion serial ports.

What version of RSLinx Classic are you using ?

Some versions 1747-PIC drivers were better than others.