Red Lion

mwdkmpr

I am using crimson 3.0 to program a G304k200. It will be used to read serial data from 7 devices and then present this data to 7 cub5 displays. I have the serial read program written and working. How can I automatically start the program without operator input?

Do you want to execute it continuously or based off of a trigger?

Say you wanted it to execute once a second, you would create a flag tag and make the source General with "GetSec(GetNow()) == 30". This would be true every time the clock was at 30 seconds. Then go to the Triggers tab, select active on as a trigger mode and for an action put MyProgram() replacing MyProgram with your program name.

Do you want to execute it continuously or based off of a trigger?
I want it to operate continuously, however I can use your suggestion to get it started and then loop the program.

Thanks for the quick reply!

How can I automatically start the program without operator input?

Do you mean "Start when the display starts and run all the time?"

Also, how are you reading the data? Are you using a Raw Port input? If so, is it an active port or passive port?

I have some suggestions based on your answers (if you still need them).

Do you mean "Start when the display starts and run all the time?"
Yes.

Also, how are you reading the data? Are you using a Raw Port input?
Yes it is a raw serial port.

If so, is it an active port or passive port?
I do not know what you mean.

I have some suggestions based on your answers (if you still need them).
I love suggestions.

Yes.

Yes it is a raw serial port.

I do not know what you mean.

I love suggestions.

I think the question I should have asked is Master or Slave Mode.

How about trying to run your program from the On Update Field of your Driver Settings?

It is a master.

On update will not work. The slaves require me to send a command to each one requesting that it take a reading. The slave will respond with an acknowledgment and then again with a message that it has completed the measurement. Then I need to send a command to tell it to transmit the data. So the port will update 3 times for each slave.

It is a master.

On update will not work. The slaves require me to send a command to each one requesting that it take a reading. The slave will respond with an acknowledgment and then again with a message that it has completed the measurement. Then I need to send a command to tell it to transmit the data. So the port will update 3 times for each slave.

Nope, it won't work if it is a master. I've done this when it was a Slave Port and it was kind of fun.

OK, you have said that you have the program to read the data written and working. Is it one program or 7 programs?

If 7, are they executed sequentially or as data is required from a particular slave?

Is it one piece of data (tag) that you are ultimately looking for? If so, you could simply make the source of 7 tags 7 different programs and have the program return the appropriate value. Then when a page is active that has the tag on it, it will update. If multiple tags are on one page, then you may need to work out a staggering function.

I'm just trying to narrow down how you are approaching this.

OK, you have said that you have the program to read the data written and working. Is it one program or 7 programs?
It is actually 21 programs. For some reason when I reduce it down to 7 it will not work. So it is easier to leave it as 21 instead of tring to understand why. (But curiosity is killing me and before it is all over I will probably try to find out why)

If 7, are they executed sequentially or as data is required from a particular slave?
They are continously being exucuted sequentially. My problem is that currently I have to use operator input to start the sequence.

Is it one piece of data (tag) that you are ultimately looking for? If so, you could simply make the source of 7 tags 7 different programs and have the program return the appropriate value. Then when a page is active that has the tag on it, it will update. If multiple tags are on one page, then you may need to work out a staggering function.
There is one piece of data that I am reading from each slave and then passing this to 7 different Cub5 displays. The HMI is simply being used to read and pass data. I am reading the data, I just need a way to auto start the program loop.

It is actually 21 programs. For some reason when I reduce it down to 7 it will not work. So it is easier to leave it as 21 instead of tring to understand why. (But curiosity is killing me and before it is all over I will probably try to find out why)

They are continously being exucuted sequentially. My problem is that currently I have to use operator input to start the sequence.

There is one piece of data that I am reading from each slave and then passing this to 7 different Cub5 displays. The HMI is simply being used to read and pass data. I am reading the data, I just need a way to auto start the program loop.

I don't have a Kadet to test, but I'd love to see your configuration. Maybe I can help you figure out why you can't get it down to 7 programs. If you can do this, you can easily make the programs the source of your tags and just have one screen on the display and have it populated with all 7 tags (so that they will call the programs and update).

However, you should be able to call the programs in the "On Startup" Global Action found under the Pages Pane. That is assuming that the programs continue to run after they are started the first time.

I like the tag source solution the best, though...

Starting the program from the global actions is way too easy. It seems to work fine in the emulator. Thanks for your help.