Connecting a laptop, a PV550 & a SLC 5/01

krakenfan69

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys. I'm working on building some screens for the pv500. The program is currently running in the SLC 5/01. I'd like to get my laptop online with the processor so I can trigger some alarms and wee that they are ringing in on the pv. The SLC is RS-485, then I have a RS-485 to RS-232 adapter (not an AIC) feeding the pv550. What's my option to get the laptop online as well? Any ideas? Can I just parallel the breakout cable from the SLC to my laptop NIC where it connects to the 485/232 adapter?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

WHOAH ! STOP !!!

Your laptop "NIC" is Ethernet, not RS485. Do not attempt to plug anything from this network directly into your laptop.

Yeah, I had a feeling something was "off" about my thinking there. Just not sure how to get all three devices communicating. Obviously I haven't done any 485 comms before.. lol

Kraken Fan #69

I think RS-485 over RJ45 ports was a PLC and PC manufacturers' scheme to increase profits since most of the laptops' NICs are built-in...:nodi::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you sure it's a 5/01 communicating with a PV ?...From what I remember 5/01s couldn't initiate any messaging...Slave only...and needed a 1747-PIC to interface with RSLogix 500...

Last edited:
Right, let's take a step back and figure out what that RS-232/RS-485 interface is between the PanelView and the SLC-5/01 controller.

Post the exact part number of the PanelView and whatever you can about the interface device.

The most likely solution here is going to involve a 1761-NET-AIC and a 1747-UIC, unless you happen to be running an old XPSP2 or SP3 computer with a built-in serial port.

PV550 Cat # 2711-K5A5L1
Hexin Model 485 485 to 232 converter
1747-UIC

I have access to 1761-NET-AIC's but have not had much luck with them.

Windows 7 machine with a serial port available.

Thx for the help guys.

I would connect port #3 on the AIC+ to the SLC5/01 with a 1761-CBL-AS03 cable.
Then connect port #2 on the AIC+ to the PV with a 1761-CBL-PM02 with a null-modem adapter or a 2711-NC21 ( straight-thru cable). Then connect your PC with the 1747-UIC
( USB to DH485 converter) to port #1 on the AIC+ with a 1747-CP3 ( null-modem cable).

Baud rates the same on all devices and node addresses different.

Someone correct me if this does not look right.

You have a Windows 7 computer with a real serial port?

Last edited:
Got this working. Sort of. (it was actually a co worker of mine who was working on it to start with) He got online but didn't have his laptop in the mix. Ended up forcing values to the plc then changing cabling to get the PV550 online to see if the alarms came in. It was clumsy but it worked for testing.
He ended up ditching the AIC (Ours must be dead as we have NEVER gotten it to work on ANY project) he made a custom pinout RJ45 to DB9 adapter then broke the wires out to a RS-485/Rs-232 adapter then a null modem adapter then into the DB9 serial port on the PV550.

Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Kraken Fan #69