Connecting a Laptop to a Mitsubishi PLC

Hi, I am very new to PLC's I am currently doing a project for college and wanted to be able to test my project at home, I am using an FX1S-20MR PLC to drive some solenoids, my problem is I have downloaded GX Developer 8.91 but cannot connect to the PLC, I am using an SC-09 cable attached to a usb (I have downloaded driver that came with the usb to serial converter cable), I have changed setting in developer transfer setup to USB but keep getting es:01808502 comms error.

If you have a usb to serial converter, then you need to find the number of the com port it is using and set your connection to serial and the number of com port.

First you select the com 1,if connection do not estabilish then you use com 4.

And what happen to 2 and 3 ?

Why would you just not check your device manager and not guess what port is being used? you also would only use COM1 if you had a real serial port