HELP with RS View 32 and CLX

Ashwin

Hi

I basically am stuck at a point where i am not able to proceed.

I am trying to make RS view 32 with the control logix 5000. Well, I followed the same procedure as documented in the CLX manual(1756-UM001E-EN-P/Chapter 7), word by word which i will summarize in a jiffy

1.I start by configuring AB DF 1 in RS LINX. The manual describes it for the ethernet driver.

2.create polled topic

3. Create polled node

3a:OPC server - RSLINX OPC server

4. import 5000 tags

5. CSV file

6. Create polled tag

when i come to the last step and trying to figure out the tag..it comes with an ERROR message

" ERROR WRITING TAG- No OPC ITEM SPECIFIED"

Could someone intutively guide me as to what could be the error signify.

Last edited:
the easy way

If you've created the CLX program on the same PC, then the RSLinx topic should already exist. RSLogix 5000 creates a topic with the same name as you give the processor.

You will need a version of RSLinx greater than Lite - OEM, single node, pro, etc.

In RSView create a channel referencing the appropriate RSLinx driver (AB_ETH-1, AB_DF-1, etc.). Create a node with any name you like, setting it to OPC server, RSLinx OPC server, in-process.

In the RSView database editor, create a tag, select device, select your node (ellipsis gives a list), then click on the ellipsis by the tag name box and the OPC browser will pop up. Select your RSLinx topic. From here you can browse tags in the processor if you're on line, or you can browse tags in the off-line project if its on the PC. Simply select the tag you want and that's it.

ohhh flip

Hi Gerry

thanks for the mail. Know what, i deleted the topic name. I didnt know that in the CLX the node name is generated. I deleted that when i went into topic config in RS Linx and gave it a new name.

What do i do now? I followed the rest of the process as described by the manual and you!

Ashwin

Open the project with RSLogix 5000 and it should re-create the topic. Not sure if you need to do an edit and a save. In RSLinx, it's easiest to configure the topic on-line so you can pick the processor from the data source display.

Then select that topic in the OPC browser from RSView.