CLX To SICK PI50 Vision

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All

I have a sick PI50 camera connected to a control logix plc L63 ver 20 over ethernet IP (1756-ENBT Card) do get a angle from the camera.
This is working but in oder the get the data in the plc I had to set the comm format real in the Generic Ethernet module Please see attched pic.
I am reading the angle from the camera but I need to trigger the camera from the plc.
The sick PI50 input format is 4 sint words. I need to have a value of 3 in the first sint and a value of 1 in the second Sint. The Plc output word is a Real as I have said I need the information from the camera in this format.

My question is how do I enter a value in a real number do this
:confused:

Donnchadh

Capture.JPG

This is from the PI50 User Manual:

5.3.4 Image Trig
To enable triggering via EtherNet/IP, do the following:

1. Choose Interfaces and I/O Settings from the InspectorPI50 menu.

2. In the tab Interface choose Ethernet and EtherNet/IP in the list box.

3. In the Image settings tab choose Trig by EtherNet/IP.

To trigger an image acquisition via EtherNet/IP, specify that the slim command channel (instance no. 100) is to be used here and set the value of Trigger to 1. The image capture is made immediately, without any delays.

The Inspector PI50 will capture an image each time the value of
Trigger is changed to 1 (i.e. rising edge). To trigger the next image caption, you must first set the value to 0.

When triggering via EtherNet/IP, the time between two image captions should be at least 4 times the RPI. This means that the maximum triggering rate via EtherNet/IP is approximately

15 Hz.

Have you tried to write "1" within the module's Output assembly REAL tag?

Page 32 of the download available at https://www.mysick.com/eCat.aspx?go...295&Category=Dokumentationen&Selections=38672

Last edited:
HI

Thanks for the reply.

I have done all these items from the manual at this worked for getting the angle from the camera to the plc. I have attached a screen shot of the Instance ID 100 and its 4 Sint words.
I need to have a value of 3 in the first as my object is 3 and then a 1 into the second Sint to trigger the camera. As from my first post I only have a real to write to. So I am not sure how to break down a Real word like I would a Dint or int with a MVM ,or BTD

Thanks again

Donnchadh

Capture.JPG

I see an issue with the chosen CommFormat data type.
Do you need it to be REAL? Could you use DINT data type instead?
It'll make at lot easier since your Output Assembly Instance 100 is a 32 bit data "chunk" (4 X 8-bit which would correspond to the 4 SINT of the PI50 Input memory mapping). It will be really easy to set the individual bits via ladder logic.
If you really need this high resolution from the vision device and you have to use REAL data type, I would try creating a DINT data type tag, let's name it "Object3_PI50_Trigger" and set bits 0, 1 and 8 ( Binary 0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0011 / Decimal "100000011") and then COP/CPS it into the PI50 REAL Output Assembly Instance 100 hardware defined tag.
I don't remember to have ever done this myself since RSL5K Instruction Help for the COP/CPS instructions states that the Source and Destination operands should be of the same data type, however, what could go wrong?...:ROFLMAO:

Hi

Thanks to the reply .Y ou were spot on . I set it up as dint and the trigger worked first time. The angle was now reading a funny number and I used the mov to copy it to a real but the value was all wrong. Then as any good day should go I learnt something new. I was told to try a cop , my dint cop to a real 1 word long and bingo it's perfeft. I had done some reading on the web about how to make a dint into a real and it was over my head. I had used the mov in slc to do this but as it was pointed out to me the slc is 16 bit and the mov would work. The cop works for a 32 bit word.

Thanks again for the replys and why do I always have to learn the hard way

Donnchadh

Last edited:
Don't we all always learn mostly the hard way...:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't make it a habit COP/CPS-ing different data types though...There is a reason there are posted warnings!...:nodi: