EDS file - What is in it?

Michal_dk

Hi Guys!

I haven't been able to find an explanation in the forum, so I guess I have to ask myself.

What does the EDS file contain? I know what it's for and how to use it.

But at the present time I'm a bit annoyed as when I create my drive in RSLogix5000 (rev. 20.01) using the EDS file, the I/O tags are created as SINT (byte). That would be fine, but my Control Word is a 16 bit INT as is my Main reference value. I'm starting to get some very nasty comparisons to Siemens (although without the byte swap) and as said it annoys me.

I have been told that the EDS file states that the I/O tags are 16 bit INT, but that Rockwell does not support that part yet and automatically changes it to SINT. But When opening the Advanced tab in the module configuration (RSLogix) I can change from SINT to INT, so why isn't it working with just the EDS file?

Do I have to look in the Assembly section, in the Connection section or somewhere else?

Best regards,

Michal_dk

Ill have a guess
Electronic Data Sheet
contains the information for PLC software to know how to talk to a device and what it is as well as an Icon or two

Yes, that's what I meant when I said that I know what it's for ;-)

But where should I look for the datatype of the tags generated?

Best regards,

Michal_dk

Hi Bernie!

Hmm, yes. It's a Danfoss drive. I'll have a look at the link you posted.

But I have the EDS file, I just want to be able to understand/translate what the "code" in the EDS file means.

E.g.:
[Assembly]
Assem1 =
"20", $ Assembly Entry Name
4, $ Size of Data block in bytes
0x0001,
16,;

Can I see in this part of the code that the tag generated is of the type SINT? The code part is (I guess) for the ODVA profile.

Or is it located in this part:

Connection4 =
0x84030002, $ 0-15 = supported transport classes
$ 16 = trigger: cyclic
$ 17 = trigger: change of state
$ 18 = trigger: application
$ 19-23 = trigger: reserved
$ 24 = transport type: listen-only
$ 25 = transport type: input-only
$ 26 = transport type: exclusive-owner
$ 27 = transport type: redundant-owner
$ 28-30 = reserved
$ 31 = Client = 0 / Server = 1
0x44640405, $ 0 = O->T fixed size supported
$ 1 = O->T variable size supported
$ 2 = T->O fixed size supported
$ 3 = T->O variable size supported
$ 4-5 = O->T number of bytes per slot (obsolete)
$ 6-7 = T->O number of bytes per slot (obsolete)
$ 8-10 = O->T Real time transfer format
$ 11 = reserved
$ 12-14 = T->O Real time transfer format
$ 15 = reserved
$ 16 = O->T connection type: NULL
$ 17 = O->T connection type: MULTICAST
$ 18 = O->T connection type: POINT2POINT
$ 19 = O->T connection type: reserved
$ 20 = T->O connection type: NULL
$ 21 = T->O connection type: MULTICAST
$ 22 = T->O connection type: POINT2POINT
$ 23 = T->O connection type: reserved
$ 24 = O->T priority: LOW
$ 25 = O->T priority: HIGH
$ 26 = O->T priority: SCHEDULED
$ 27 = O->T priority: reserved
$ 28 = T->O priority: LOW
$ 29 = T->O priority: HIGH
$ 30 = T->O priority: SCHEDULED
$ 31 = T->O priority: reserved
,4,Assem1, $ O->T RPI, size, format
,4,Assem6, $ T->O RPI, size, format
,, $ config #1 size, format
,, $ config #2 size, format
"IO Connection 20/70", $ Connection Name
"IO Connection 20/70", $ help string
"20 04 2C 14 20 04 2C 46"; $ Path

Or has the data type created nothing to do with the EDS file?

I'm reading an "EDS Specification" note from CiA (Can in Automation) and it's not exactly helping.

Best regards,

Michal

The EDS tells RSLinx what to expect.

RSLogix5000 depends on the module profiles though to automatically set up tags.

This is what I do when no module profile is available. I set up a UDT image each of the expected input and output data. At the top of the scan I COP from the start of the SINT (or whatever) array into the input UDT with a size of 1. At the end of the scan I copy from my output UDT into the output array for the size of the number of units needed to hold the UDT.

In between I reference the items in the UDTs for conditions or commands.

It's a hassle but at least I have meaningful tags within the code.

Hi Bernie!

Yes that is also what I used to do when using DeviceNet and could also do here (Ethernet/IP), it just bugs me that the system can't automatically use the INT data type.

But as a side note, I can see that it is possible to change the data format in the configuration menu. So I can get my INT, but I have to do a little bit of work to get there.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Michal_dk