Secondary Systems Wire Color

Tim Ganz

When wiring from another cabinet that can be hot when the disconnect is off what color should it be?

One contractor told me it should be yellow and the other said orange? Which is correct?

Also is this for ac and dc? Should dc be another color? and does the voltage matter? 120,240,480 would you make it yellow or orange for all voltage ranges?

Is their any special; marking to do on the cabinet for this? Should the terminal blocks be a specific color?

Where should a relay go when connecting systems. We have a weigh dumper and a mixer and this is 2 different systems. when the mixer is done we want to signal the dumper and both have plcs. the mixer will turn on a output power the relay when it is done but should the relay be in the mixer cabinet or the dumper cabinet? This is very confusing.

This question comes up about every six months. Do not feel bad you are in good company.

Orange is "reserved" by NEC for the wild leg on center tap 240 120 delta.

White is reserved by NEC for the current carrying grounded conductor ie neutral

Green is reserved for the grounding conductor (bonded to ground but normally not current carrying)

After that you can do as you want.

Standard practice is
black red blue for 240 3 phase
brown orange yellow for 460 3 phase

I think there should be a standard and there are standard practices for HVAC equipment, telephone, and others I cannot recall.

IF others post with further information you will quickly see how confusing it can get.

I am beginning to think that interlocking relays should go in a separate box marked "interlock circuits - two or more sources" etc.

You can put the uhhh "cycle finish" ?? relay in either cabinet I think which ever is easiest and most apparent to you.

Mark the terminals at other cabinets for their source so people know they are still hot. The two supply sticker requirement is all well and good BUT marking the wires / terminals as HOT and also for source is much easier and appparent I think. Yeah takes more time and dollars.
Dan Bentler

I am beginning to think that interlocking relays should go in a separate box marked "interlock circuits - two or more sources" etc.

this is exacly what i was going to say. it is good practice to do this, that way the big cabinets of each machine do not have power from the other machines.

I think there should be a standard and there are standard practices for HVAC equipment, telephone, and others I cannot recall.

IF others post with further information you will quickly see how confusing it can get.
NFPA 79 says orange

Tim, what kind of plcs are you using? could the switching be controlled by messaging?

NEC says orange.

Yellow used to be OK but using yellow was deprecated many years ago because yellow is used as a ground conductor color in the IEC.

NFPA 79 13.2.4.1 The color ORANGE shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnected means is in the OFF position. This color identification shall be strictly reserved for this application only.
(emphasis added)

13.2.3.2(2) White with Orange stripe for grounded current carrying conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnecting means is in the off position.

(This means a neutral conductor in a circuit that remains energized should be white with an orange stripe)