503 eni question

im setting up some rate screens, for some welders at work through excel
i have a 503 hooked to a ethernet eni unit, i have set up the excel page with all the correct topic configurations
i can see the counters files, but not any integer files or strings.
when i go to check active topics its alive, but has errors on any integer or string files that i placed into excel
the error in rslinxs is "STATUS ERROR $10"
any info on this would be helpfull
thanks

Hi Tyler,

Post the exact syntax you used in the Excel cell. Sub-elements of String and Timer/Counter elements are addressed slightly differently than ordinary "atomic" elements from simple data types like Integers.

What are the update rates you are using for these OPC topics ? The Net-ENI is slower than a direct RS-232 connection and can't handle more than a few dozen elements per second.

Use a browser to navigate to the device web page by entering its IP address in the url address bar.

Then look for device series and revision and number of active connections.

In general, you only want one or two remote devices constantly talking to a SLC through a NET-ENI, more can quickly bottleneck at the serial port as Ken said. We have better luck with the DigiOne IAP Haz for its bandwidth and forgiveness of poor cabling, heat and moisture. It has its quirks too, but will tolerate more different devices beating on the data tables of the SLC than the ENI, so you don't have to be so careful planning messages or suddenly adding a big load to it, things might slow down a bit, but will continue to work.

I have a recipe system with 60 recipes and two of the elements are strings. To be able to make a quick backup of all this information, I ended up writing a macro to read the strings with some delays to keep from overloading the net-eni long ago before we traded it for the Digi.

I did that after discovering I could read 31 strings with a DDE Topic array reference, but if I tried 32, it would stop all reads from working, including the integers on the same sheet. I also found that slowing the polling rate didn't work, but it did help, but I wanted one topic and some of the data to be "live".

So, if you are forced to read/write a bunch of strings with Excel, there are pretty decent workarounds to get it done.

Last edited:
ok thanks guys, come to think of it now i could see a string threw it for a while, until i put 16 counters through it, then the string errored out, i am also sending messages out this port as well.
processor is getting an upgrade to a 505, then all traffic issues should go away