Need help programming!!!

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,
I am new to PLC’s and this is my first of many posts to come as I just joined this website. I have a question regarding on how to write ladder code for a certain scenario that one of my customers had requested, the PLC is a 1769-L30ER CompactLogix 5330ER Controller.
Brief overview of project
I currently programmed a mill that has an agitator where the operator enters a runtime in minutes which pretty much is the user input for how long they want the agitator to run, as well as a RPM set point which serves as the speed of the agitator. I also programmed how many minutes are remaining from the setpoint value to display on the HMI (Panel View Plus CE 1500) how long they have left in minutes for till the agitator stops. All that programming is working with no known issues. The VFD (Yaskawa A1000) controlling the agitator has to be serviced every now and then to make sure its functioning properly. What they asked from me is, say you have a preset time of 30hrs, once the agitators accumulated running time reaches 30hrs, the plc stops the agitator and sends a signal that the vfd has to be serviced. Once it has been serviced they can resume regular operation. I’m using a push button on the HMI that is going to be a bit in the ladder logic in the plc that resets the count of the accumulated time, once they have serviced the agitator.
Now the question,
When the reset PB is pressed to reset the count of how much time is left for a service there is a table I made on the hmi that displays the time, date, hour, min from when that reset occurred. There are currently 10 rows of that data to be displayed based on the customer’s request. Ex. If I hit the Reset PB row 9’s data will move to 10, row 8’s data will move to row 9, row 7’s data will move to row 8 etc… therefore row 1 will have the last time the reset had actually occurred. I know how to use the GSV of the wall clock in the plc and I made a user defined data type and made the structure of that data type the time,date,hour,min and made the UDT of array 10 since I’m displaying 10 rows of data. Now I just don’t know how to write the logic :oops: of what I have described above. Maybe use indirect addressing I don’t know. A clear and simply way to do this would be much appreciated thanks.

In 500 they had a table load / table unload block, haven't used 5000 in quite a while but sure they had the same block but probably even better now. Input triggers data to table to load and last to unload. Do some reading on table data blocks.

Just an FYI, I would never shut down a device for service unless it was absolutely critical, set alarms bells whistles, maybe even a pneumatic actuator with a club on it to hit the person who resets it more than once!! Log that as well to a long running table. Customers get upset when they are forced to shutdown a process, just warn them over and over but let them reset if that is their choice, save yourself some late night phone calls and angry maintenance personnel yelling at you!!

Yes i have programmed warnings prior to reaching that preset, and i wrote the logic in such a way that if a batch is running it waits for that to finish before stopping the agitator. On another not i couldn't find the table load/unload block you were referring to, any other recommendations?

In RS Logix 500 it is in the instruction menu under the "File Shift/Sequencer" Tab, instructions FFL, FFU, LFL, LFU. Read up on them and see what you can figure out from there. I am sure control logix would have the same functions but been quite a few years since I did any control logix programming.