RS-Logix Activation

ArikBY

Hello everyone

I need to supply to one of my customers laptop with RS-Logix for
service.
He is spoilt and he want model who come without floppy drive and serial port.
The problem of the serial port I solved by 1747-UIC which work fine with PIC and DF1.for other PLCs he will buy USB adaptor.
The problem come with the activation.I can install the activation without the floopy by the network(I use my fllopy drive as network drive).
The quistion is, He want to be able to install the activation without network?(without to be depend on me)
Do someone know other way to do it.?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Well being as the AB license disk is specially formatted.....
You cant just copy the files to a regular disk IE Floppy, hard disk, or cd and make it work.

It has to be installed from the floppy.

Now........I don't know but AB may offer the license on CD now.......but that is just a guess.

Dave

Dave

I know I can not just copy the disk. I just use another computer floppy by network to do it.
I canot do it fron Disk-on-key or from PCIMCA drive.

Arik

If I understand you right, the customer must purchase a copy of RSLogix in order to service his own PLCs. You can't just let him use a networked version unless he owns the original. Is that the case?

Maybe I misunderstood........

As to installing it from a network drive........Yes you can install it from any shared floppy on the network. Just map the floppy drive as a logical drive on the system you want to install it on....
This will give it a drive letter. The EV move utility will only work from drive letter to drive letter.

I misunderstood and thought you were looking for other options....

As for copying the disk...........Allen Bradley can make copies......

Think about it! :D

Dave

I recently moved an activation onto a laptop with no floppy drive. I used an external floppy drive connected through the USB port. It came up as drive E:. The Move utility did recognize drive E:

ArikBY if I understand you correctly,we had the same problem the other day. We needed to move activation to a new laptop with no floppy, so we did it over the network. This worked fine. In the meantime we bought an external floppy for the laptop. When we went to move it back, we found that if it`s moved over the network, it had to be moved back using the network.

Thank you all.
Rube
My costumer have legal copy of RS-Logix.
By the network it work good.
Contr_Conn
I will try the links you wrote and see how it work
Thanks again

you can use a disk image software

you can use a disk image type software package to make a image of a floopy, not copy, but image, the same as image a hard drive

ArikBY,

Can you post some details:
What type of flash drive you tested?
What interface with PC?

Apparently this utility will not work with WinXP as well.
I will try to ask some people for updated version next week.

I used POI Compact flash 8Mb which belong to the PV-600.
I used the utility tool of RS-Logix500 V6.0.With Win98.
The tool is not work with Win NT platform.

rs logix installation on lap top with no floppy drive

Unfortunately, That is the way RS Logix comes. Rockwell just did it that way. (Is there any particular reason your customer cannot come up with the money for a decent laptop?). He might be able to purchase an external floppy drive which would plug into a serial, or parallel port. (should be able to get that cheap enough on EBAY)(www.ebay.com)
Better yet, just tell your customer he will have to get a new laptop that has both a CDROM drive, and a floppy drive.

I came across a method to get the Key from a PC to USB that may help.
With USB in PC with A Floppy Drive., Share the USB key, Then map the USB Key as a network drive. Run the move license utility and move the the mapped USB key. I have moved ours onto the USB key then back off but only on the same PC.