Logix Designer says it is not activated, but FTA shows valid activation

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. There must be dozens of posts about FTA activation, but I could not find an answer to my problem. I am, using the latest FTA Activation Manager 4.06.11, latest Windows 10 update, added FTA Activation to the antivirus exception list, added FTA Activation to the Windows firewall rules and activated DCOM on this PC. We use USB dongle which is recognised by the Windows device manager and yet I cannot start Logix Designer as shown in the commented screenshot below. If anybody has had a similar situation and figured out a solution, will be grateful to read some comments. I know this USB dongle is properly activated because when connected to another PC it works. Thanks for reading.

2022-01-04_FTA_ActivationIssue.jpg

Hi good morning! Ken may chime in, however a year or two ago I had this problem and RA tech support did 2 things:
First we ran "repair" on Factory Talk service platform from control panel and the second thing they did was remove a Windows 10 update. I have no idea which one it was.
If it works on another machine, I would at least try the first suggestion. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much saultgeorge. Tried repairing Factory Talk Service in the control panel's Program and Functions, but unfortunately the result did not change. As more Rockwell users logon, we may have someone familiar with the offending Windows update. Again, thanks.

When you look at your licenses in FTA, what do you see in the "Total" and "Used" (or In Use maybe) columns?

I sometimes see "n/a" (or "s/o" in french) in these columns. It is because my licenses are already in use in a VM.
My licenses are on a USB dongle, I move the peripheral into the VM in order to launch RSLogix there. Then, when I move the dongle back into my Windows 10 and check the activations, they're detected but show "n/a" in the "Total" and "Used" columns (see attached screenshot). Thus the licenses are not useable, although FTA detects them properly.

In order to use my licenses on the "root" Windows 10 PC, I have to close the VM properly. There's a way to fiddle with VMs saved states in order to have activated software open on both the VM and the root PC, but I haven't figured it out exactly.

It may be the origin of your problem, in case you're using VMs with Rockwell software.

2022-01-04 13_56_50-FactoryTalk Activation Manager.png

Hello. I am not using virtual machines. In the workstation where I cannot run Logix Designer the status for total and used are both n/a. I will check tomorrow this information on the one PC where Logix Designer does work. I do not have access to this PC at the moment.

Hello again. It seems I hosted months ago the licenses on a particular PC here, so the licenses were not hosted in the USB dongle as Seb94 correctly suggested. So I "rehosted" the license (successfully) but then when I try to activate the license it only allows me to bind the license to the PC, but what I want to do is have it hosted in the USB dongle. What am I doing incorrectly here?
Thanks for your help again.

Rocwell_Rehost.jpg