Suggestions for GUI or a normal user interface

spandy16

My application is to get the data from user for IO-link communication of sensors so that, the user can select which parameter to be read or written. Since the IODD file contains index and sub-index for different sensor attributes, I would like to ask here that whether it's possible to make an interface without the actual Siemens HMI panel so that I have a user interface and choice of several options for configuring the sensor. I am using IM 151-8 PN/DP CPU and Step 7 V5.5 as well as TIA Portal with WIN CC Basic.

Of course there are many other vendors than Siemens.
But since you have WinCC already, I think that you will not find anything that is less expensive or easier for you than the Compact Panels or Comfort Panels from Siemens.

If you are not after panels, then I suggest to use the onboard WebServer on the IM151-8. You can create your own webpages to show values and change a few parameters. It will only cost a bigger memory card. Minimum 512 kB.
Then anyone with a PC can go online with a common webbrowser like IE or Chrome. You can password protect the webpage.

The actual programming is not exactly trivial, but also not impossible. It is called Web2PLC and is a free option to STEP7. It is in a separate folder on your STEP7 v5.5 installation DVD.

Of course there are many other vendors than Siemens.
But since you have WinCC already, I think that you will not find anything that is less expensive or easier for you than the Compact Panels or Comfort Panels from Siemens.

If you are not after panels, then I suggest to use the onboard WebServer on the IM151-8. You can create your own webpages to show values and change a few parameters. It will only cost a bigger memory card. Minimum 512 kB.
Then anyone with a PC can go online with a common webbrowser like IE or Chrome. You can password protect the webpage.

The actual programming is not exactly trivial, but also not impossible. It is called Web2PLC and is a free option to STEP7. It is in a separate folder on your STEP7 v5.5 installation DVD.

Thanks for the great information. It seems the idea of webserver sounds really good since it also saves the cost of buying a HMI. But for me it would be the first time if I use an option like that. Could you give me more insight on the Webserver or provide some document related to it.

Search for Web2PLC on this forum. You will find at least one post by me.

When you install Web2PLC you will also get a number of sample projects which are described in the onlione help for Web2PLC.
The documentation isnt great though.

But I find that this has great potential, and I want to do more with this. So far I have made a simple application with a few parameters and buttons.