GuardPLC 1600 to SLC 5/05

agarb

How can I take multiple bits and put them in a word?

I am trying to report status info to a SLC 5/05 via ethernet. I have a message in the SLC that is successfully reading a couple of words out of the GuardPLC. But I can't figure out how to get my status info into the words that are being read. When I called tech support, they said to use the PACK instruction to do this but it looks like PACK wants BYTES for inputs; not bits.

Suggestions?

I'm not really familiar with the GuardPLC 1600, but I understand that you are using function block programming? Of course, this would be a simple task with ladder logic.

What about this:

Assign each local status bit to a particular bit in the status message word.

First, clear the status message word.

Then, for each status bit that is true, add the binary place value of that bit (according to your bit assignment map) to your status message word.

Seems kinda clunky, and you'd either need to use an unsigned integer, or stay away from bit 16.

Last edited:
Guard PLC is only Function Block, no ladder and instruction set is very limited.
PACK instruction is the only one that I remember

Guard PLC is only Function Block, no ladder and instruction set is very limited.
PACK instruction is the only one that I remember

Surely it offers an ADD function?

Modicon Quantum function block language has a MOVE function that can transfer individual bit status as well as word data, but I don't know about addressing a bit that exists within a word structure. Don't know about the GuardPLC at all. Just throwing out an idea, for whatever it's worth.

Possibly not much, eh? ;)

Did you try pack? This is correct instruction

Yes, I tried PACK but it wouldn't let me make connections from status bits to the inputs of the PACK instruction. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I'll try again tomorrow.

Yeh, this would be trivial on a SLC or Logix but I can't find any mechanism to directly address a particular bit within a word of data.

Yes, I tried PACK but it wouldn't let me make connections from status bits to the inputs of the PACK instruction. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I'll try again tomorrow.

Yeh, this would be trivial on a SLC or Logix but I can't find any mechanism to directly address a particular bit within a word of data.

Adding the binary place values would certainly do that.

Bit 1 = 1
Bit 2 = 2
Bit 3 = 4
Bit 4 = 16
Bit 5 = 32
Bit 6 = 64

etc. etc. etc...