cisco wireless network

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i am working with someone who is trying to setup our wireless network.

We've added an engenius access point to one building - no trouble.
Now we are trying to setup (2) cisco air-ap1242ag-a-k9 2.4 / 5 ghz units, one master ans one slave. nothing but a royal pain!
we have the master setup and working.
we can also setup the other unit, but not as the slave.

cisco won't help us - no service contract.
local distributors are unable to answer the most basic questions even after we tell them we need 5 or more units, cables, and antennas.

if anyone can help, please reply.
we have read / re-read the manuals and are well beyond
the point of frustration.

thanks,
james

We've added an engenius access point to one building - no trouble.
Now we are trying to setup (2) cisco air-ap1242ag-a-k9 2.4 / 5 ghz units, one master ans one slave. nothing but a royal pain!
we have the master setup and working.
we can also setup the other unit, but not as the slave.

james

Why the mix of Engenius and Cisco? Also... what do you mean by 'slave'? Are you trying to setup a client bridge?

- Just want to help! ~Mike

Everyone,

I have only been here at this facility for 8 months and everything was already purchased. My partner has been here several tears but has never worked on these devices either.

i like to standardize on one brand to help keep down inventory, but the stuff is already here and now they are looking at standardizing.

this is what we have:
UNIT 1.
i will consider this the master unit and it will be connected to the plant ethernet and will have both radios channels turned on.

the 2.4 Ghz G channel will be for maintenance laptops and a few office pc's.
the 5 GHZ A channel will transmit its signal to the next unit (slave) located approx 200 ft away.

UNIT 2.
i consider this the slave unit.
it also will have both radios turned on.
the 2.4 Ghz G channel will be for maintenance laptops only since there are no offices in the area.
the 5 GHZ A channel will receive its signal from the master unit.

We have programmed both units and made them functional when connected to the plant ethernet. The problem is, we don't know
how to link them together.

from what we can understand, the master will be programmed as a root bridge and the slave will be programmed as a non root bridge.

past that point, we are putting the pieces together on a trial and error basis.

everything we are doing is using internet explorer. we haven't tried to use the IOS telnet language.

I hope i have explained this correctly for you.
any help on linking them together would be much appreciated.

thanks again,
james

The root bridge is a part of the Spanning Tree Protocol, which attempts to eliminate switching loops. Are you having a problem with the Spanning Tree Protocol?

bulletin blues,

The main area we are having trouble with is linking the two units together.

what i call the slave unit is just going to have ac power and will be getting its signals from the unit plugged into the plant ethernet.

regards,
james

It's been a long time since I've seen the configs of the air-ap1242ag-a-k9, but I seem to remember that if you want to use it a 'root' bridge, it won't function as a 'regular' access point... meaning you won't be able to connect laptops and such to that link (only the 'non-root' device will be able to link to it)

There's a BIG chance that I'm wrong, but that idea was the first to pop up in my head! :D