compact logix question

knucklebucket

you guys so far have been extremely helpful in helping me debug many of the rigged up applications at my new job and I really appreciate everything. I have another problem I have been probing into for about a week on and off. I have a urethane dispense machine with a compact logix controller in it. this is one of the machines I have not been successful in finding the ip address for so I can communicate through ethernet. correct me if I'm wrong but I can also communicate with a serial cable(haven't done that in a long time) but not sure what cable to get. I know we don't have one here at work so if someone could point me in either direction.
1. cable type to communicate through serial port
2. how to find ip address of processor.

it would be greatly appreciated.

For serial communication use a db9-db9,female-female, 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.
Use RSlinx software version 2.5X, RSlogix 5000 software according to your plc software, you have to find it out.
After entering plc you will be able to see IP address.
Attached you will find cable pinout

For serial communication use a db9-db9,female-female, 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.
Use RSlinx software version 2.5X, RSlogix 5000 software according to your plc software, you have to find it out.
After entering plc you will be able to see IP address.
Attached you will find cable pinout

Also known as a Female-Female Null Modem Cable. Your local electronics place should sell them for a few dollars. I often configure Ethernet settings over the DF1 just to save messing around with BOOTP. If your computer doesn't have a Serial port, then you might want to pick up a USB-Serial converter while you're there. I use a Belkin F5U409, and haven't had any issues with it.

Last edited: