Direct Logic06 Timer System Help

Ryanm0085

Hello. I am pretty new to the world of PLCs. I am a volunteer firefighter in NJ. We are trying to devolpe a lighting control system using a Direct Logic06. We have 2 buildings we need to connect with 4 outputs each in which i will connect 20 amp solid state relays to. The PLC has a H0-ECOM in it which i assume is for ethernet. All i am trying to do is create an 8 channel timer system for turning the lights on at a certain time and then turning them off. I assume i could use a Terminator I/O setup at the one building and the Logic06 in the main building. Also, i have a Panel View c300 touch screen which i would like to incorporate into this project to make it more user friendly. All i am looking for is to be able to set each channel to come on at a certain time and to go off at a certain time. I would love to be able to use the touch screen to make the adjustments to the on/off time and the actual time without having to connect with a computer. I am pretty computer savvy but have had little experience with PLCs. We are a volunteer fire company and are trying to do this on the smallest budget possible. I figure having the PLC and touchscreen already is probably a good start. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!!!

Does your 06 have the LCD screen? I did a similar project many years ago and used the LCD for adjustments it's been working for over 10 years without a glitch

It does not have the lcd screen unfortunately. The reason why i was hoping to use the touch screen was to make it as easy as possible for anyone other than myself to adjust the settings incase i am not there. I don't know if i would feel comfortable with anyone else entering the cabinet and messing with the PLC. I did just aquire a Terminator I/O set with a power supply, ethernet adapter, and digital output module. So with the 06 and this setup, i would think i am on the right track for the timer system. Is there any reason why the PanelView wouldnt be a good reason? Also, is there a simplified computer interface software available that would allow ease of adjustments? Just something as simple as a time adjustment and on/off adjustment for each zone? Either way, the biggest issue for me would be the actual program for the plc to make it work. I can just make the adjustments for now until i can come up with an easier solution.

Not familiar with Terminator I/O.
Second system could be done with another DL06 and $300.00 HMI. That may be cheaper than trying to do it all with one HMI and tying it together with Ethernet.

The DL06, HMI, and SSR's is all you need. This job is as simple as you have assumed. Timers are in PLC. Set values on touchscreen.
You can do everything you ask with the touch screen.
Start off with one system controlling one building, then figure out how you want to expand to second building.

Even if i had to buy a hmi from automation direct like an Optimate or something like that. I know i can get a pro-face for cheap but unsure if it will work with the Direct Logic brand. Just need it to be easy for timer adjustments for the average person. I need to have both buildings synced. This system is actually for our Christmas Lighting Display. We want everything to come on and off aat exactly the same time. Right now I have a Direct Logic06, a Terminator I/O rack with power supply, ethernet controller, and an output module, and a Panelview C300 HMI. Also, each building is on the same ethernet network. If i can get the HMI to work the the PLC, and the PLC to communicate with the Terminator Rack all over the ethernet, then I think this is the best plan and lease expensive for us. Eventually we may want to expand to another electrical panel or another location, allowing us just to add another Terminator I/O on the ethernet to accomplish that. And one clock from one PLC controlling the whole system allows a perfect sync.

Last edited: