SLC 504 to Ethernet

Big_doggie300

I was going to use to connect to the SLC 504 to Ethernet using Digi One IAP, but RS232 is being used by the ASCII to commuinacate with the Data Liner using string.

Does ProSoft make a card for me to acomplish this or connect to the backplane and connect to the 504 with the ethernet included?

Hi

Would it be cheaper and easier to upgrade to a 5/05 if you are using the dh + port.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh

You're out of luck, then; the SLC-500 CPU doesn't communicate over the backplane with anything but I/O modules.

If you just wanted to monitor data points that the controller can be programmed to move into a comms card, use one of the Prosoft cards like the MVI56-DFNT module.

But you can't "go online" with the controller via this backplane connection. You need to use one of the communication ports for that.

Alternately, change the Dataliner interface to a Prosoft card like the MVI46-GSC.

Another good option is to connect a control logix rack via DH+. You would need a 1756-DNBT card, 1756-DHRIO card, 4 Slot Rack, and power supply. This would allow you to connect the DH+ network to Ethernet using the Control Logix rack as a bridge. No ControlLogix processor is required.
Works quite well. We have all our SLC-5/04's connected this way.
I also allows you to connect to the SLC's from your desk using Ethernet.

Kim

This is true Kim, but what is the cost, I have the Digi One IAP and power supply, so I guess I am commited, and my only option is what Ken said, just need to know how much the Prosoft card MVI46-GSC will cost...

I recently bought a Prosoft AN-X-AB-DHRIO gateway for my 5/04. Connecting to it though the DH+ port to the gateway and then ethernet, works great. I think it ended up being right at $1900 from MC+MC.

I have limited experience with DH+, but I seem to recall reading that this gateway supports up to 60 or so DH+ devices, so if thats the case, and the price tag does'nt bother you, is it possible that you could run your DH+ daisy chained through the gateway?

I could be way off base, but its an idea. Best of luck

hi guys,

I am newbie in the forum and in plc so please bear with some of my terms and language I use. I am looking for some post that might give me an answer to my problem and seems like this post is the closest one.

We have just successfully switched one of our node (SLC 5/04)from DH+ to ethernet but all our PIDs started playing up and wont stabilize. I was thinking because now that the processor is running through the ethernet that it is now communicating faster and in return a small difference in the PV and CV makes the control a bit harder. how can I stabilize my PIDs? Did i missed something that I need to adjust on the PIDs?

Any answer is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Winston