RSLinx as Half Duplex Master

Volvagia720

I am planning on having a 3rd party software view tags from PLC's that are currently running. There are two MicroLogix1100 PLC's which will talk to a computer over DF1 Half Duplex. Is it possible to configure RSLinx to speak to these PLC's over this network as the Half Duplex Master so I can get the Third Party Software to use OPC to retrieve the data from linx?

PLC ---> ----DF1--> Computer(Serial)-->RSLinx ->OPC

PLC ---> --^

You would need to upgrade your version of RSLinx to RSLinx Enterprise. RSLinx will then be the OPC server, and OPC clients can connect to the computer running RSLinx Enterprise for data information from your two PLCs.

I have RSLinx Gateway. My biggest issue currently is not the OPC, it's the Half Duplex Master. I can get it to talk half duplex, but I cannot find a way to configure it to be the master.

In RSLinx under "DDE/OPC" menu, when you open "Topic Configuration...", go to the "Data Collection" tab.
Here you select the "Data Collection Mode".
Select "Polled Messages (mSec)" and enter a polling interval(1000 = 1Sec etc).
Make sure "Unsolicited Messages" is deselected as this is the slave setting.

This will make RSLinx the polling master. Just be aware that whatever software is running DDE, RSLinx will be constantly polling the controllers, so traffic volumes will be high and the CPU usage will increase.

G.

Make sure you are using the correct driver in RSLinx Classic.

The 'RS-232 DF1 Devices' driver has a Protocol option for Full Duplex or Half Duplex. This is a (relatively) modern addition to that driver, and frankly I'm not sure what it does.

The 'DF1 Polling Master' driver is the traditional DF1 polling master. That's the one with the poll lists and slave options and the troublesome handshaking support.