Wago added to Windows Domain

ajmoyer85

I am trying to add a wago 750-882 to a windows domain. I have found several links to adding a linux machine to windows domain but nothing specific to wago. Help!

My original problem is I am trying to write data to a Microsoft SQL Server on a windows domain. Having a dhcp ip address isn't a problem because I can find the IP address from the Host name. I am not able to connect the PLC to the SQL Server so as I dig deaper I am finding I cannot ping the PLC once it is on the network but when I do nslookup it returns the ip address and host name. In talking with our IT department they said I need to add it into the windows domain.

You will have to use DDE for simple systems, or OPC when it gets complicated.
If you run codesys on the PC you can use DDE. it is cheap and works
OPC is far more complex, but can be used anywhere.

Wago has a library that can write to an SQL Server and I have tested this by creating an SQL Server on my PC and making a small local network at my desk. This just won't work once I put it on our company network with windows servers.

By the ip address and the name. Returns destination hosts unreachable. When I ping by the host name it returns the correct ip address but stills says host unreachable.

By the ip address and the name. Returns destination hosts unreachable. When I ping by the host name it returns the correct ip address but stills says host unreachable.
Is the gateway address and the subnet mask set correctly? If you are using DHCP, is there a way to see what has actually been assigned by the DHCP server?

I would strongly second the advice to use only fixed IP addresses for the automation devices. Of course, you would have to come to agreement with your IT department on what is the range to use.

You should use an Allen Bradley PLC. Connecting to them is automatic and everybody knows they are better than Wago.

NO YOU SHOULDN'T!

Can't directly have an A-B (or any of the other big-names) communicate directly with SQL without paying lots of $$$'s. For this kind of stuff CoDeSys based can't be beat. BTW, we can do triple redundancy SQL logging with WAGO including local data backup (32GB-SD on the WAGO) for the cost of a single ControLogix SQL card.

With that said you'll have to talk with IT. I did a job where the WAGO both wrote to SQL and used HTTP to run a script on a remote server through a proxy. The ONLY way to do this is with IT's help. WireShark anyone?

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)