Redlion to Kawasaki Via Ethernet/IP

ONCE

Morning Gents,

I have a project where we are attempting to connect a Kawasaki Series E controller directly to a Redlion G310 via Ethernet/Ip. The robot is equipped with an Ethernet/IP Master card however to set up the comm network Kawasaki requires you to build a scan list Via RSNetWorx. This is where my issue comes up, trying to scan the G310 into RSNetWorxs I receive the error : ENET:80CA - Invalid identifier found for the device at address 10.1.204.20. Device ignored.

Redlion did supply me with an EDS file they had built a few years back, however using the EDS they supplied does not change the error.

Anyone have any suggestions ? I seem to be getting stonewalled from everyone I talk to (Rockwell, Redlion, Kawasaki)

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

Lets go ahead and get our hands dirty with Wireshark and RSNetworx.

First, ZIP and post the EDS file you have for the Red Lion G310.

Next, determine if the G310 is registered with RSLinx Classic: put its IP address into the 'Ethernet Devices' driver node list and see if it comes up in the RSLinx Classic 'RSWho' browse as with a question mark or with an icon (even a globe or a gray box).

Post the revisions of RSNetworx and RSLinx Classic you are using.

Explain exactly what software action or step you were taking when you say 'scan the G310 into RSNetworx'.

Once we have some basic information we can wade into using Wireshark. If you don't have it yet, go ahead and download it at wireshark.org and get it installed on your computer.

Yes the Redlion G3s are registered in RSLinx Classic.

The Revisions we have been using are:
RSNetworx 11.00.00 and RSlinx 2.59.02
RSNetworx 21.00.00 and RsLinx 3.60.00

We create a new network and go online with the ethernet driver we have configured for the Kawasaki and the HMI. It finds the Kawasaki without fail but when it attempts to see the HMI it comes up with that error that ONCE posted.

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the fast response!

Alright attached is the EDS file Redlion supplied, it was made a few years back and appeared to have a few errors in it which I attempted to correct, also in the attached file is the edited version.

RsLinx Does see the device as a grey Box with the EDS on board otherwise it is represented by a Yellow ?. (3.60.00 CPR9 SR6)

RSNetWorx 21.00.00(CPR9 SR5.1)

Here is the steps I am taking in RSNetWorxs
1. Open RSNetwroxs
2. Go Online
-from the RSWHO popup(Browse for network), select the AB_Ethernet that the HMI was declared in
3. Hit OK
-RSNetWorxs begins to scan in the Network setup this is when I get the attached error message

error.jpg

Attachments

• g3.zip
    958 bytes · Views: 13
When you say that RSNetworx "attempts to see the HMI" you're talking about the RSNetworx project browse.

I found one RA Knowledgebase article (AID #438982, Access Level: Everyone) with that error code but referring to a totally different product, the SMC Flex soft-starter with an EtherNet/IP adapter.

The 'invalid identifier' suggests that there's something in the EDS that doesn't match the actual data that RSNetworx requests from the Red Lion Identity object.

I don't have a G3 EDS file; the times I've used the G3 as an EtherNet/IP slave device, I was using the Generic EtherNet/IP Module profile in RSLogix 5000, and not RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP.

What might work also is to un-register the G3's EDS file, then use RSNetworx to create a new 'stub' EDS file containing only the Identity data read from the G3.

Please ZIP and post that EDS file if you can.

I have RSLinx Classic 2.59 installed, without the EDS file installed.

The EtherNet/IP driver doesn't browse my G306A, but the Ethernet Devices driver does. When I right-click on and select Device Properties, I get:

Device Name: G3
Vendor: 176
Product Type: 0
Product Code: 100
Revision: 1.000
Serial Number: 504D4153
EDS File Name: 00B0 0000 0064 01XX.EDS

That matches the Identity section of the EDS file:

[Device]
VendCode = 176;
VendName = "Red Lion Controls";
$ ProdType = 0x18;
$ ProdTypeStr = "Human-Manchine Interface (HMI)";
ProdType = 0x00;
ProdTypeStr = "Generic";
ProdCode = 100;
MajRev = 1;
MinRev = 0;
ProdName = "G3";
Icon = "g3.ico";

You can see where the Product Type has been commented out; this is a Generic Type device, so the proper Type is zero.

I know that minor revision 0 is an invalid value, but I don't think that RSNetworx would choke on that. My guess is that it's not handling the Assembly or the Port entries gracefully.

I'll see if I can get RSNetworx installed later this morning to see if I get the same error.

If you are able to connect Wireshark and capture a network browse, that would help advance the investigation, too.

Here's the wireshark I hope this is helpful.

I do see where it says the attribute is invalid, just don't know how to see which attribute.

That's excellent stuff. Use the Wireshark Display filter 'cip' and you'll see that RSNetworx is sending three requests to the G3:

Get Attribute All, Class 0x01, Instance 0x01 (Identity Object)
Success: b0 00 00 00 64 00 01 00 74 00 53 41 4d 50 02 47 33
"B0 00" is Vendor Code 176, Red Lion
"00 00" is Product Type 00, Generic
"64 00" is Product Code 100,
"01 00" is Revision 1.00
"74 00" is the device Status
"53 41 4d 50" is the Serial Number of your G3.
"02 47 33" is a short ASCII String for the product name, "G3"

Get Attribute Single, Class 0xF4, Instance 0x00, Attribute 0x08 (Port Object, Instance 0x00, Attribute 8 = Entry Port)
Success: 00 01, "Entry Port 1"

Get Attribute Single, Class 0xF4, Instance 0x01, Attribute 0x04 (Port Object, Instance 0x01, Attribute 4 = Port Name)
Attribute Not Supported

Here's what I think is going on: the EDS file describes the Port Object, but it either does so incorrectly and points to a Port that isn't supported by the G3, or the G3's EtherNet/IP object does not correctly reply to the request for the Port Name.

I am not very familiar with the Port Object.

What I'd like you to do is check your RSCommon/EDS directory to see which EDS is registered for this device; the EDS with a Port object (the original EDS) or the EDS without a Port object.

The EDS filename should be similar to 00B0000000640100.EDS

Let's compare the [Port] sections of the G3 and a related device, the A-B PanelView Standard terminal. The G3 used a shorthand syntax, so I'll add the field labels:

G3:
[Port]
Port1 = TCP, $ Port Type
, $ Port Name
, $ Path to Port Object
2, $ Port Number
, ; $ Reserved/Unused Fields

PanelView Standard
[Port]
Port2 = TCP, $ Port type
"EtherNet", $ Port name
"", $ Path to Port object, The CNet object for PV
2; $ Port Number

I'm not totally sure what to make of this. I'd prefer if the Red Lion used quotation marks to designate the null string fields. But "2" as the Port Number is correct as the Ethernet Network port.

I would approach this by un-registering the EDS file then re-registering a version without the [Port] object.

The most common statement of the Port object that I am finding is this:

[Port]
Port1 =
"TCP",
"EtherNet/IP",
"20 F5 24 01",
"2";

So maybe that's the Port Object we need in the EDS. I'm not sure what RSNetworx needs to know about the Ethernet port to add something as a generic I/O slave.

Update: I installed RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP version 10.01 (for compatibilty with the rest of my RSNetworx software), but did not register an EDS for my G306A.

I got the same ENET:80CA error message, "Invalid Identifier found for the device at address 192.168.1.8. Device Ignored".

The Wireshark capture was similar; a Get Attribute All to the Identity Object, then a Get Attribute Single to 0xF4/0x00/0x08 with a result of 0x01, and a Get Attribute Single to 0xF4/0x01/0x04 with a 'Attribute Not Supported' response.

Next, I registered the EDS file with a Port segment that pointed to the EtherNet/IP object (Class 0x0F6, not the Port Object Class 0xF4).

[Port]
Port1 =
"TCP",
"",
"20 F6 24 01",
2;

But RSNetworx made the same inquiries to Class 0xF4 and gave the same error.

So RSNetworx doesn't necessarily use the EDS file to tell it how to check the Port Object (Class 0xF4).

This probably means that Red Lion will have to modify their EtherNet/IP Slave driver for use with RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP.

My guess is that they have only developed and tested it for use with the most common case, where the terminal is a slave to a ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller.

Last edited:
I was thinking that the G3 might not need to be automatically added to the RSNetworx project, and you could just enter the G3 into the Kawasaki scanlist.

But manually adding it to the Scanlist brings up another set of problems, because the EDS is supposed to tell RSNetworx about the connections the G3 can make.

This is definitely going to need some help from Red Lion.