1761-NET-ENI, Limitations..?

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
We have a site with a SLC503 connected to the Ethernet network via a 1761-NET-ENI.
Currently, there are 2x incoming connections registered.
1 is for a local Touchscreen, with the other being the Site SCADA.

I have had a request to modify a process on the site that is currently controlled by a L32E. There are items that are controlled by the SLC that are required to be also controlled via the L32E under certain circumstance.

My thoughts are to message from the L32E to the SLC a single control word (as that is all that is required).
Should I be concerned about this, with this type of module?
There is plans to upgrade the SLC in the near future to a ML, but that has been on hold for a while due to other projects.

I would think that since the unit has 6 x incoming & 2x outgoing connections, increasing the connections to 3 should not be a problem..?

Hi,
I would think that since the unit has 6 x incoming & 2x outgoing connections, increasing the connections to 3 should not be a problem..?
Going off of memory the ENI can handle 2 incoming, two outgoing, and either way. Where are you coming up with 6 incoming and 2 outgoing?

I mis-quoted the number, the manual says
The ENI/ENIW supports 6 concurrent TCP/IP connections:2 incoming, 2 outgoing and 2 that can be allocated as incoming or outgoing.
So then I only have 2x spare connections for incoming. I don't foresee the need for any outgoing connections on this system.
I assume it is much easier to message from a L32E to the ML, rather than the other way around.? I have done Control/Compactlogix to SLC often enough, & SLC to SLC etc, but not SLC to Control/Compactlogix.

Yes, you currently have two spare incoming connections if you are not using 2 or less outgoing connections.

Personally I always like to use read messages. There is a slight gain in efficiency in a read message over a write message and it give you a chance in both controllers to take action when a message faults compared to one controller reading and writing.

How easy is it to read from a L32E with a SLC via a NET-ENI?
I guess I have to do the SLC type addressing in the L32E, what about the path through backplane etc?

Very easy. You must setup the routing table in the ENI so that say node 45 goes to the L32E IP address. Then in the L32E go to Map SLC/PLC messages under the logic menu. This is where you map whatever data you are transmitting to a tag in the L32E. After that configure your message something like this in the SLC

msg.png