Omron addresses

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I am working on an Omron CP1L using the latest version of CX Programmer and have a couple of questions. The main one I am struggling with is what the different addresses mean.

I have figured out what IO-bit means. These are your physical discrete IO's . I am assuming then IO-CH is the word form like what you would use for an analog input/output.
I am using W-bit as my internal bits and when I compile the software it seems to like this idea. I assume W-CH is the integer form like IO-CH.

What I am not sure about is all the others.Also if I use say W0.00 then I do not want to use W0 unless I want one to over write the other. Below is the different addresses I have found you can use. Can anyone please explain how each is used.

A-Ch
A-bit
C
CF-bit
D
H-CH
H-bit
IO-CH
IO-bit
T
W-Ch
W-bit

Hey Guys,

I am working on an Omron CP1L using the latest version of CX Programmer and have a couple of questions. The main one I am struggling with is what the different addresses mean.

I have figured out what IO-bit means. These are your physical discrete IO's . I am assuming then IO-CH is the word form like what you would use for an analog input/output.
I am using W-bit as my internal bits and when I compile the software it seems to like this idea. I assume W-CH is the integer form like IO-CH.

What I am not sure about is all the others.Also if I use say W0.00 then I do not want to use W0 unless I want one to over write the other. Below is the different addresses I have found you can use. Can anyone please explain how each is used.

A-Ch
A-bit
C
CF-bit
D
H-CH
H-bit
IO-CH
IO-bit
T
W-Ch
W-bit

A's are auxiliary bits / words. These are preassigned as flags and control bits to monitor and control operation. I don't think you can change these. The manual should tell you what the bits are for.

C's are used for counters. T's are timers.

H's are holding bits and are memory retentive meaning they are not cleared when the PLC’s power supply is cycled.

D is for data memory which is used to store data.

W's are work bits which are internal bits that can be used in the program.

Well I guess that leads me to my next question.

If I understand your post then H bits/words are retentive and w bits/words are not. Is D like a long word as in 32 bits where W and H is just a word or 16 bits? Or is both D's and W's 16 bits long?
Also what do you use when working with Floats?

You are correct in your thinking.
W0 is the entire 16-bit word. W0.00 is the lowest bit in W0, W0.15 is the highest. Same for the A, IO (Omron calls it CIO, depending on the manual) and H areas. All of them can be addressed at the word (or Channel in Omronese) or bit level.

The CF bits, if I recall, are the Compare Flags. Back in the day, Omron CPUs had a single compare function that, when used, would set or reset three bits: GT, LT, EQ. You had to remember to use them right away, because if you did another compare, those three bits would likely change. Fortunately, we now have inline instructions to use, so we don't have to worry about them quite as much. They're still around for compatibility purposes. Maybe they're still used with block compare functions, I don't quite remember.

Sorry, just saw your next post.

All words are 16-bit. There are however 32-bit functions. Just keep in mind that they'll consume two words. :)

Sorry, just saw your next post.

All words are 16-bit. There are however 32-bit functions. Just keep in mind that they'll consume two words. :)

Ok then if I use say W100 and use it as a 32-bit funtion then I am really using W100 and W101. This applies to all words even if they are D's,H's, or W's

Got a math question but I think I will start a new thread for that.

Thanks for clearing up the addressing puzzle for me.

CF bits are used for clock pulses, always on, always off etc. D words and bits are memory retentive as are H words and bits. CIO is a huge memory map used for I/O, remote I/O and anything else that your heart may desire and is not memory retentive. The newer Omron PLCs - CP1, CJ1/2, CS1 all have 16, 32 and 64 bit functions. They all have 64 bit floating point maths for example. Compare functions are now very simple and can be used inline - for example > to an output - either CIO or W. They have changed a lot and there are some very powerful and easy to use instructions.