RSLogix5000v18 Upload Error 0x8004203b Invalid software state due to inconsistency...

lucas4ever

Hi all,
The problem is that I got an error while uploading the code from the PLC. It uploads most of the program correctly but suddenly the following error comes:

Tue May 28 16:38:35 2013

Fatal Error!

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v18\Bin\RS5000.Exe
Elapsed execution time: 14 minutes & 58 seconds

Version: V18.00.00 (Release)
Source File: aascan.cpp
Line Number: 256
Function/Method: aa_scan::DetermineToken

OS Version: Windows XP (Service Pack 3 - Build 2600)
Thread Id: 00000540 (1344)

Error 0x8004203b (-2147213253)

RxE_INVALID_INTERNAL_STATE - Invalid software state due to inconsistency found.

One project file is currently open:

C:\RSLOGIX 5000\PROJECTS\130528_SN\ICRA04_CLX_mb.ACD
Work Path: C:\Documents and Settings\PE1_Eng\Local Settings\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp\AB_18BE\AB_6952
Time open: 4 minutes & 35 seconds

I have an old version of the program (v18) in my computer and need to update with the changes saved in the PLC.
Yesterday I updated my software to version 18 from 16, might it have something to do with it?

THanks in advance!!

Kind regards,
M.

'Locked' answer-You may not have a TechConnect contract or be linked to your contract (see answer 50871).

Could you kindly send me the information contained there?
I dont have the TechConnect contract :(
Thanks in advance!!

M.

Sorry, but I cannot breach our TechConnect contract.

I have an old version of the program (v18) in my computer...

Are you able to open the older version *.ACD file with the RSLogix5000 v18 you installed?

According to your error message above you have RSLogix5000 v18.00.00...

Version: V18.00.00 (Release)

Did you know...

Rockwell Software Updates has a newer version RSLogix5000 18.02.00 available for download?

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

G.

I understand you can not do it.
Yes, I can open the older version with RSLogix.
I will download the newer version 18.02 and try to do it again :)
Thanks! I will let you know how it is going!!

M.

The TN basically says that the software is having trouble with an AOI in the project. Something about downloading with one version of 18 and uploading with another. You either need to find the file that you originally downloaded with, or install a newer revision of 18.

Other things will not work I'm afraid. You need to get v18.02.00.

You installed RSLogix5000 v18.00.00. I cannot substantiate this, but the old *.ACD must also be at v18.00.00 in order for you to be able to open it. I don't think RSLogix5000 v18.00.00 could open a v18.02.00 *.ACD, I may be incorrect?

Somehow, the program in the controller is at v18.02.00?
You don't have an offline copy of the *.ACD file that's in the controller, why?
Did someone else do the updates to the program and downloaded it?
Someone else that has v18.02.00?

G.

Minor revision firmware/software matches are to be pursued but not required; I personally do it on a daily basis, especially with older revisions.
The issue probably resides within the AOI created by RSL5K 18.02 which is not "comprehended" by Rev 18.00...I do not have the Release Notes for 18.00 anymore and since 18.00 is not available for download I have a hunch that there are (undisclosed anymore!)RSL5K Rev.18.00 AOI "Known Issues".

dmargineau,

Sorry, just me being a stickler again. :oops:

dmargineau said:
Minor revision firmware/software matches are to be pursued but not required; I personally do it on a daily basis, especially with older revisions...

Why chase something if you don't need it? :confused:

What exactly are you doing on a daily basis? :unsure:

If you "pursue" firmware and software minor revisions in an attempt to "match" them, you will be chasing your tail. :rolleyes:

Firmware and software minor revision updates do not go hand in hand. The enhancements and or corrected anomalies you see in a software minor revision update will not necessarily have anything to do with their counterparts in a firmware minor revision update. They do not even match number wise. If they happened to, it would merely be a coincidence.

For instance, at the moment I'm working on a project using RSLogix5000 at software revision v20.00.00. The controller is a 1769-L32E, which is at firmware revision v20.11. In this case the major revisions match, but the minor revisions do not and cannot match. RSLogix5000 available software revisions at v20 were v20.00.00 and v20.01.01, before v21 was released. Logix Controllers available firmware revisions to date at v20 are 20.11, 20.12 and 20.13. None of these firmware and software minor revisions match or ever will. None of them were even released in tandem.

RSLogix5000 software and Logix Controllers firmware major revisions do not necessarily need to match either, they just need to be compatible. A Controller's firmware may be at several major revisions lower than RSLogix5000, but still be compatible. A certain controller could be at firmware revision 10.xx and RSlogix5000 could be at software revision 20.xx and they would still be compatible. That is a stretch, of course, and certain firmware features beyond 10.xx would not be available. But the key is compatibility.

Be they major or minor revision updates, one should always use compatibility, or anomaly correction, as the main reasons for seeking them out.

This is why programmers on the move install several software major, and minor revision modules on one PC, to ensure compatibility, where ever they go.

Another consideration with regards to compatibility:
While a controllers firmware major.minor revision may be compatible with RSLogix5000, there are other hardware which may not be compatible in this situation. For instance, a specific revision of a motion module may require a specific controller firmware revision, prompting you to update the controller firmware, but not necessarily RSLogix5000.

It's the hardware that is most important. The software just needs to be compatible with the required functions and features of the firmware.

For obvious reasons, and where practical, one should try to maintain software revisions and firmware revisions at compatible levels for the task in hand, nothing more.

Maybe compatibility is what you are referring to more so than matching? :nodi:

dmargineau said:
The issue probably resides within the AOI created by RSL5K 18.02 which is not "comprehended" by Rev 18.00...I do not have the Release Notes for 18.00 anymore and since 18.00 is not available for download I have a hunch that there are (undisclosed anymore!)RSL5K Rev.18.00 AOI "Known Issues".

You're all making me feel bad now for not disclosing the info in the TechConnect Article. :cry:

There is no probably about it, AOI's are a breed onto their own. The reasons v18.00 and others are not available are explained in the PDF files attached: "Product Notice" and "Product Safety Advisory". I've also compiled a document of all the available info I have to hand pertaining to RSLogix5000 v18 Known Anomalies and Anomalies Corrected, etc.
There is no specific reference to uploading issues between revisions. If they didn't want to disclose the v18 AOI issue, surely Article 115366 would not exist?

Class dismissed! 👨🏻‍🏫

Additional info pertinent to the topic:

RSLogix5000 v18.00.00 had two minor revision updates...v18.01.00 and v18.02.00

RSLogix5000 v18.00, v18.01 and v19.00 were all withdrawn by Rockwell in late 2010 for uncorrectable anomalies.

It explains why only v18.02.00 is available for download. Also it opens up the possibility that the *.ACD file downloaded to the controller may have been at v18.01.00 or v18.02.00. Regardless, we know it's not v18.00.00, which you have installed.

If you cannot download v18.02.00 with your serial number, and you really need to get this program uploaded, then you may have to seek outside help.

G.

Thanks a lot you all for your help!
I contacted a colleague in rockwell as well and he confirmed this is a problem with the version and it can be solve using version 20. I will ask help to a third company which could help me here.

M.