TIA Portal: Is there a way to upload a new software version via an SD Card?

The SD Card works in any SD card reader, be it an external one, or one built in your laptop/desktop.

Just NEVER format it using windows, thats it.

The SD card reader can be a standard card reader.
You also do not have to use TIA to store the project files in the card.
You can for example copy the existing program from the card and save it to a backup server.
You can send the card content in an email.
You can receive a card content by email, and load a program update that way.

And you can revert to a previous card backup (if the update is not good).
All in all it is a simple and good functionality.
The email thing is very interesting!
It means I wouldn't need to travel to the site. I could just email the file(s) to the customer, then they can do the transfer to an SD Card (and then to the PLC).
Music to my ears.

The email thing is very interesting!
It means I wouldn't need to travel to the site. I could just email the file(s) to the customer, then they can do the transfer to an SD Card (and then to the PLC).
Yes, we do that when we need to load a program update and the programmer cannot get access to the PLC in any other way.
1st step is to backup the existing program on the SMC card. 2nd step is to copy over the new program to the SMC card and load it into the PLC. If for some reason the guy onsite wants to revert to the old program, he can just copy the previously saved backup onto the card again.
Disclaimer: I am not 100% certain how it works with an S7-1200. Siemens calls it a 'program transfer card' on a Siemens S7-1200.

Heres a few screenshots

Attachments

• blankcard1.jpg
    blankcard1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 9
  • mmcshown2.jpg
    mmcshown2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
  • drag2mmc3.jpg
    drag2mmc3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7
  • loadmessage4.jpg