AB 1756-OF8 problem after upgrade from V17 to V19

rajy2r

I was working on a new system upgrade where we were replacing a TI PLC with AB PLC. Other parts of the system had AB PLC (ControlLogix L61) with V17.

After some IO tests and a few comm errors, i decided to upgrade the PLC to V19 and ENBT to V6, so they were all the same.

For some reason after the upgrade, few channels of 1756-OF8 stopped working and i don't get OpenWire status on any of the inputs with no wires connected. It was all working well a few hours ago when we tested.

I tried to reflash with the v17 firmware and same result. Found it really odd, but i my first guess is the OF8 somehow got messed up ? No reason i can think of.

I reflashed the OF8 with the latest available firmware, to no effect.

Anyone ever seen this ? Tomorrow is Sunday, so have to wait until Monday as we don't have any spares, so any suggestions would be welcome, if we can get it going before hand.

No luck with AB tech support as well, since we only have 8 to 5.

Module configuration corruption is unlikely, but to rule it out I would take these steps:

1. Delete the 1756-OF8 from the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree.
2. Save the project as a *.L5K format file.
3. Close RSLogix 5000, re-open a fresh session, and open the *.L5K file to create a new project.
4. Add and reconfigure the 1756-OF8.

If you are having comm errors, focus on media as well as firmware.

Hi

You said you flashed it to the latest firmware version but you should check which version matches the version of logix you are using. The lasted firmware for that card may not work with ver 19.

It may not be this but no harm to check.

Donnchadh

Thanks for the replies. Didn't read it until after some testing.

Got a new OF8 card, and as soon as i plug it in, everything seems to work fine. The OpenWire status bits work too. Plug the old card back in and nothing. I reckon the card somehow went dud. Not sure why. Any further troubleshooting you guys can recommend ?

Also on the comms issue, i am going to replace the UTP Cat5e with STP and see if its a noise issue. Nothing is really running, so don't know if its noise.

See attached screen shot for what i am seeing on the Ethernet Card. I am not sure what the entry status and entry mask mean.

screenshot.jpg

The EntryStatus attribute of the Module Object is handy for sensing complete disconnections, but for hardware diagnostics, I prefer to use the Ethernet statistics available from the built-in webpages of ControlLogix family Ethernet modules, and the statistics that RSLinx Classic can show you for each module.

The EntryStatus is a little easier to read if instead of running it through a Mask with an MVM, you divide it by 4096. This shifts the significant digits 12 places to the right, so you get a value of "4" for a good connection, instead of a value of 16384. The EntryStatus is described well in the online Help; start with GSV/SSV in the Instruction Set Help, then go to GSV/SSV Objects, then the Module Object.