GE 90-70 to Rx7i

TajK

Hi,

Can you please help / clarify?

We have several 90-70 PLCs with PLC and genius I/O. Initially we are transferring the project from one 90-70 PLC to a new RX7i PLC. Re-utilizing the 90-70 hardware, but I can find no information regarding RX7i rack I/O equivalent to the 90-70 I/O. Our existing 90-70 I/O will fail and some point and from what I understand the 90-70 I/O is discontinued.

Can some one confirm the above.

Would the RX3i route be better?

Yes, GEIP is planning to discontinue the 90-70 and all of its I/O modules, most are gone already. They do have hardware available to help make the transition to RX3i a little less painful. You should check with your distributor or rep for details and have one come in to give you a proposal with details.

RX3i MAY be easier, definitely lower cost.
There are some functions in 90-70 that are not compatible with 90-30 or RX3i.
ie....In 90-70 you can have a rung around certain math or compare blocks, 90-30 and RX3i will not allow this.

You're correct that the 90-30 does not permit branches around function blocks, but the Rx3i does allow it. Still, there may be some 90-70 functions that don't translate directly to Rx3i. I haven't had to do any 90-70 to Rx3i conversions yet, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of the things you have to watch out for.

IIRC the OP is asking about updating his 90-70s, the Best option (IMHO) is to go to the RX3i instead of the RX7i, this is because of hardware availability. They both use the same logic engine (PAC engine) which is very similar to the 90-70 engine with enhancements.

Converting logic from '70 to either PAC is nearly seamless with little or no manual tweaking, from '30 to PAC will take some manual adjustments. Converting the hardware is where the time and money is.

Depending on the hardware envolved I have found occasions where converting from 90-30 to first go to 90-70, make those corrections then go to the PAC.

I work for Cimtec Automation, Cimtec.com. We have New and referb parts in stock. Referb parts carry a 2 yr warranty. Tech support is provided at Qualitrol.com, 24-7. The I/O and intelligent modules are supported in the RX7i units with the correct firmware revisions. We handle conversions also. Please call if you have any questions. And there will be a big announcement soon from GE and Cimtec. Stay tuned!

You're correct that the 90-30 does not permit branches around function blocks, but the Rx3i does allow it. Still, there may be some 90-70 functions that don't translate directly to Rx3i. I haven't had to do any 90-70 to Rx3i conversions yet, so I don't have firsthand knowledge of the things you have to watch out for.

That is nice to know that RX3i will allow branches around function blocks.
Is this benefit from Machine Edition or RX3i?
In other words with Machine Edition can I now put branches around function blocks in a 90-30 plc?

That is nice to know that RX3i will allow branches around function blocks.
Is this benefit from Machine Edition or RX3i?
In other words with Machine Edition can I now put branches around function blocks in a 90-30 plc?

GEIP currently supports four different PLC/PAC Engines with Proficy Machine Edition. Each one is designed to be used with a specific controller.
90-70, 90-30, PAC, and PC Control (There is also the State Engine, but not used often.)
This is why one needs to select the correct CPU before programming begins and why a logic upload from a CPU with an incorrect hardware configuration will fail.
They are not interchangeable and have slightly different rules of operation.

The PAC is the latest and the only one getting regular updates and enhancements today. It is used by RX7i, RX3i, RXi and eventually at least a subset of it by the RSTi Controller.

Last edited: