Suggestions for a high-scan-rate dynamometer indicator/ conditioner?

SPL Tech

I am a college student looking to do some independent research in regards to dynamic loading of ropes and cables (i.e. drop a weight on a rope and record the force). I currently use the Mantracourt DSCUSB, but with a scan rate of only 500 samples per second I am finding it is too slow for some applications. I use a standard 5,000 lbs 4-wire 3mV/V load cell. The indicator would have to meet the following requirements:

- Minimum scan rate of 1500 Hz.
- Must work with 4-wire 3mV/V load cells
- Must be field portable and either USB powered from a laptop or powered from a battery.
- Must be able to log every reading (either internally or through a laptop).
- If it logs internally, it must be able to export the readings to a computer for graph analysis.

Any suggestions?

the system you would need is probably very expensive.
A PLC does not convert Load Cell info directly.
Siemens offer an option card - But you need a full PLC for that.
A the end of the day a dedicated Load Cell Indicator will be the only answer.
Google - usb strain gauge data logger
OMEGA seems to have a 20KHz type

The plc options would be a minimum i would say , offset span and other calibration issues would be simplified by a load cell controller / display as far as recording and logging the data and or carrying out a controlled sequence of events you would need a plc to interact with the laptop otherwise to convert a load cell signal you would need something that could be read and talk to a laptop . Most dedicated systems i have seen were built on site and were a bipartisan approach all mechanical and electrical interfacing were handled at the weighing system stage from the controlling hardware but at the integration of the weighing information and along with certain amount of home work like tare or net weights were achieved at the HMI and plc stage . Having stated the obvious I honestly haven't heard of anything that simple though . good luck with it most supplying company's would have to custom build a system .to meet your demands .

I am not looking for a PLC, just a commercial dyno. I figured this would be a good forum to ask in since it is an engineering-related question.

I have a solution.
RMC75E AA2. The RMC75E can sample and stream data at 4KHz over Ethernet.
Futek Load Cell conditioner. These cost about $400 but they are high speed. Get a 10KHz one.

The RMC75E is used in stress/strain testing applications and your tests are similar.
You should monitor the position or stretch of the rope and the tension at the same time.
This is not cheap but it used in industry.