could this be the beginning of the end?

/agree.. back up your files, and copy them off the laptop now.

Also, do a full virus scan, and download some spyware cleaner software such as lavasoft's ad-aware or somesuch. It might be some nasty software. It could also be poor connections on the flexible cable connecting the LCD to the laptop's video card / motherboard. You might want to very carefully open the case and check the ribbon strip.

(Only if it's no longer under warrantee!)

The end or the beginning?

I've had the same thing happening with my laptop for over a year now.

There's a bad connection in the hinges, connecting the LCD display to the vidoe processor on the motherboard. Sometimes the screen flickers, sometimes it goes REALLY bonkers.

Jiggling the screen/lid makes it all right.

But it's annoying as ... baby brothers.

My trusty laptop's backlight just went out. No warning, it worked the night before and now I just get a brief flash at startup.

I figure it must be the ribbon cable, the bios, or a virus. Curiously, this is the first leapyear the laptop has seen. Someone told me that this was an issue that one manufacturer has had to deal with.