Is there any reason why someone will write this logic?

Is there any reason why someone will write this logic?

---NO %Q23-------NC %Q23-----------------------------Coil %Q24

BTW: How do you use the LADDER button to post ladder logic?

Andy

One reason to write something like that, or edit that into logic, is to disable a rung. Either due to a feature not included in a system, or for diagnostic purposes.

That way you can turn off a particular rung, without having to delete it. In AB higher level PLC's, they have an "AFI" or always false instruction. Other PLC's may have always false bits, or in some cases, the programmer may include always false (and / or) always true bits as well to serve in cases like this.

How in the world could the rung be true?

You are saying basically:

Output = IN * NOT_IN

If IN is true, NOT_IN will be false. 1 * 0 = 0 or off.
If IN is false, NOT_IN will be true. 0 * 1 = 0 or off.

And that construction is used to disable LOGIC, not to prove or disprove I/O.

abhilashponoli:

I tried copy and paste but did not worked, I have seen ladder logic image file right inside the post but I don't know how is done.

Perhaps someone can help.

Thanks

You should click on LADDER botton then write your ledder between {LADDER}and {/LADDER}

-------(1)-- i-------(O)
i
---(b)-------i

Thats it

Last edited:
When you click the LADDER button a pop-up appears. If you don't enter anything in this pop-up the LADDER HTML tags won't get inserted in your message (at least in my case). That can be a bit confusing.
When then pop-up comes up just put a letter or something in the text line and hit OK. That will insert the tags and you can edit in the main window from there.

Keith

Anibal Hernandez said:
abhilashponoli:

I tried copy and paste but did not worked, I have seen ladder logic image file right inside the post but I don't know how is done.

Perhaps someone can help.

Thanks

The images are a screen capture of their desktop. Crop and convert to a .jpg file. Then use the attach file field at the bottom of the screen to attach the picture.

As rdrast mentioned, AFI instruction in RSLogix5000 is
comparable way to disable logic but in my opinion it is best to leave the
AFI out of program. There is no damn crossref for it...

Type in your text in Text_1, then type in "LADDER" (upper or lower case) enclosed by square brackets as shown below, then enter your ladder. After your ladder, type in "/LADDER" (upper or lower case) enclosed by square brackets as shown below. Then enter more text in TEXT_2.

Repeat process to enter more ladders and more text.

Text_1
[LADDER]
Q23 Q23
--| |-------|/|-----( Q24 ) !Regardless of the state of Output 23, Turn OFF Output 24.
This is one of the ways available to FORCE an output bit OFF.

Q12 I16
--| |---+---|/|-----( C18 )
|
C18 |
--| |---+
[/LADDER]

Text_2

With respect to the Q23 code, the first question that occurs to me is... Why in the world would anyone use an Output to drive an Output?

To do so is a sign of a very poor process design(er).

Terry, about the only reason I can think of for actually using an output to directly drive another output is where the PLC ladder logic doesn't allow for output branching. I know I often have multiple output's (say for run pl's on differnt operator stations).

In that case, it could save duplicating a lot of conditional input logic, and would be fine as long as they were consecutive in the program.

-- edit
Or perhaps they are different classes of outputs, 120vac, 24vdc, relay... but still, only if the CPU doesn't support output branching.