Wire Label Printer

gamefreak32

I am currently in the market for wire label printer that prints on heatshrink tubing. I was looking for something that would take a spool and found the the Kroy K4350. The only problem is that it seems to only support Windows XP or older. Is anyone using one of these with Windows Vista/7? Can anyone recommend a similar printer? I work for a small business so price is kind of an issue with small stuff like this.

I've used a Kroy K4100 before and it was pretty good. The K5100 keeps looking better and better to me. The price is probably what is going to make the decision. The features I want seem to only be in the $1k+ area and that is way over what I can spend.

I use the Brady IDExpert line and it works great. We also have the Kroy but have had nothing but problems with the cutting arm. Then again its use be all the electrician and they can be a bit rough on tools. One big thing to look at is the cost per foot of labels. Sometimes they get you in on the cost of the printer and then you get sticker shock when you order more ribbon.

http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/pdpv/XPERT-ABC-KIT-EL.html

If I were you get you local Brady rep out with a demo for you too try.

I just ordered the Panduit LS8EQ kit. My electrical contractor highly recommended it over the Brady. He had lots of issues with the cartrages not working with the Brady.
The LS8 will print labels, Pre cut shrink tube or continuous shrink tube. That makes it perfect for panels as it can do everything you need.
Price was around $500 for the kit. Cartrages are around $45 each.

I have an LS8E as well, and other than being a battery hog, it's fine. I just use the AC adapter whenever possible.

I only use self-laminating labels, so I don't know how well their heat-shrink markers work.

🍻

-Eric

That appears similar to the Brother P-Touch. Do they have labels that will work on small diameter wires? Their smallest heat-shrink is 1/4", and the label stock seems to be similar to P-Touch.

I use the P-Touch 'Flexible ID Tape' (sticks to itself) for larger diameter cables, but it doesn't stay stuck on anything less than about Ø1/4", or at least not for very long. I tested it out on some #14 MTW, with a full diameter of overwrap, but within a week, it unwrapped itself.

🍻

-Eric

I have a Dymo 5200, but I'm somewhat unimpressed with it.
The printer works OK, but it wastes a lot of label stock which is outrageously expensive (about $5 per foot for shrink). I have also had some bad rolls of label stock right out of the package.
I realize that these folks build the printers to sell label stock, but Dymo seems to take that to the extreme.

Do they have labels that will work on small diameter wires? Their smallest heat-shrink is 1/4", and the label stock seems to be similar to P-Touch.

-Eric

Any label ( after you shrink it)on a wire smaller then 16 gauge you probably could not read what it says. I know I couldn't.

label stock which is outrageously expensive (about $5 per foot for shrink).

Very true, the handheld I have was free if you bought x number of labels ( several years ago now).

Edit: I guess they still are.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/rewards/rhinopro-5200-printer.html?gclid=CO2i9t3kzrgCFQE6Qgod5BoAUA

shrinkage.png

Last edited:
I have the Dymo 5200 and the 3M PL200 which are the same exact Printer. The 2 complaints I have ever had with the Dymo is
1)they don't offer pre-cut shrink tube. Which makes it very hard to pre print your labels and install them as you need. I usually have to either pre print them on the shrink tube and not cut them. Then cut them in the field as you install them. That takes more time and is easier to loose. With the pre cut labels you can print them out and then just tape them to the panel. You can pull them one at a time as you need them.
2) as mentioned earlier there is some waist on the label stock. The shrink tube is always longer than you need. There is no good way to make that margin smaller. I think there may be a profit motive there :)

I haven't had much issues with the cartridges not working. That has happened maybe once or twice.

Overall I have been happy with my Dymo printers. If they offered the pre cut shrink tube I wouldn't be changing.

I have a panduit desktop TDP43ME, a Panduit handheld LS8EQ, and a T&B EZL500. My favorite hand held is the T&B they are dropping the line. It is very user friendly. All 3 can do just about anything. I use heat shrink for everything. I have a few rolls of self adhesive wire makers but I seldom use them.

If you do any shop work a desktop us the way to go. It has cut my timeto probably less then 1/10 of what I was doing with just my hand helds. I did a 42 page control system 5 remote racks, 50 ss/pb, 8 drives. I printes all of these labels in less than 10 minutes. Where before it would have taken at least 1 hour or better. Nothing worth any thing is cheap anymore. I have had Brady, Dynamo and a few others. I don't see myself ever going back to anything but a panduit.

These good units have made me money by not waiting on a slow printer.