going on line with ethernet cable

bell9440

I have a slc5/05 that I need to go online with to clear a fault, but the new laptop I have does not have a 9 pin connection. How do I go on line with it using a ethernet cable?

you need to know the PLC E/net settings and Subnet Mask
then set the laptop to that area.
Must be a new laptop there are'nt many with DB9's any more.
You will need to purchase a USB/RS232 adaptor
Usually Keyspan iss being refered to on this site - thats also what I have

You can't connect threw an ethernet cable right to the plc? I know the ip address. I usually go online wireless so I have never did it wired on this type of connection.

Hang-on does this PLC have an E/Net port
or are you trying to use the RS485 port?

If you are using an E/Net card - is it configured
what are the settings of the PLC
What are the settings of your Notebook
are you using a PATCH E/net cable or a switch

I am using a standard ethernet cable. As far as the settings of the plc, or the notebook I do not know. All I know how to do is go online wirerless and the old 9 pin. That is it. I don't know anything about how to do it through the e/ net port.

how is your wireless setup please
I understand the system is already connected to a network if you are using wireless.
at the moment I am guessing
Again
If yhe PLC has never been programmed you need to kow the E/net setup before you can program through it.
eg. 192.168.0.xx subnet 255.255.0.0
or something
with a E/net Hub or Switch you can use an E/net cable from the PLC to the switch and one from the switch to the laptop.
But the e/net cable needs to be a 'PATCH' lead to go between the PLC and the Laptop

You need a crossover cable to connect directly to the PLC ( no switch or hub). See iant's pdf.