Price premium for control panels from EU to USA/Canada/Mexico.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi there.

We have occasionally some projects for North America.
In order to get UL approval, our panels have to be built somewhat differently, which will cost a premium on the normal price.

The differences I have seen have mainly been designing for 480V instead of 400V, minimum wire sizes for control, and different labeling. All components are CE/UL/cUL labelled already so that isnt the big deal.

For those of you that have had experience in making panels for North America in the EU, approximately what extra extra expense in relative terms have you encountered ? Does not have to be super precise.

It is for guesstimating the price for a project in Mexico.

bump

Noone !?

There has got to be someone out there that have some experience with this.
I just need a rough value, like "add 5% for a panel with mainly motor starters".

I'd probably start with the added cost of purchasing components for the correct voltage/frequency and any extra shipping if they are being imported, work from there.

I know we ordered something from the UK for delivery in Canada, they were going to purchase the 25HP 600V motor in Canada, ship to UK, assemble with the unit, and ship back..so there was some added cost there.

None of the components are specially imported. Our components are typically Siemens, Phoenix Contact, etc. and they are all CE, UL, cUL already.

It is only the control panels I need a price on.

We recently had a small control panel where the added cost was 30%. But it was a very small panel, and the final inspection by a consultant therefore added to the cost in a disproportional way.

hi Jesper. my advise to you is check for local prices in mexico to avoid extra costs from importations and deliver. you can buy it from a local supplier and make the assembly and programming of your project in mexico? what do you think? the prices in mexico must be more accessibly than in USA.

the biggest things I found is the wiring color codes, wire sizes, buying items that can only be found in the UK.
also make sure the devices are compatible with 60 HZ.

When sending panels to the US from the UK,
don't forget those that crate the panels, moisture packs, vapor barrier bags, shipping fees, import duties, brokerage fees, customs fees.

This used to be a big NO NO, bringing in a plc processor.
since it has memory, we got tagged for this and the panel was held up in customs for a month.

regards,
james

Thanks all.

burropardo, it is not possible for us to have the panels built locally. We have to use our local panel builder - who is experienced in building UL panels.
edit: I can have a price quote from my supplier, but I would like to have second opinions from others.

James, we are experienced with shipping to all over the world.

Highland Controls, all I know is that we have to deliver 'normal' panels (no special circumstances) to Mexico. And that means UL-MX standard, which I assume is basically the same as UL. I don't know UL508.

We recently built two nearly identical machines, one for EU and one for US. A quick glance at the costings shows a 10% price difference but some items may have been added to the US spec. (these wern't my projects so I can't be certain of the detail).

Things that have cost money in the past for US machines were Isolation transformers for each drive but I think those days are now in the past with modern drive systems.

The inspection is always a cost and isolators need to be done corrctly. We often put a separate isolator box on the outside of main panel for UL spec machines.

Nick