GE RX3i Pac system PLC

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

So im liking the new features you have for the GE Rx3i Pac system PLC. I'm in the process of creating user defined data types for my valves. My user defined data type is a structure, and although you can specify a structures of numerous data types, how come their is no string data type that you can reference or is it that you can't use a string data type within a UDT structure?

Yeah,I ran into the same hangup. I created an array of strings then in my udt I added an index into that array. But wait till you get to their hmi, I couldn't figure out an easy way to display out of that array so i ended up moving the string array into the hmi itself.

I think strings were an after thought to the developers.

It is strange how GEIP does not give us better "String" handling tools alright. However if you break your string into what it really is, just a "string of ASCII characters", each 1 byte long. It is is not difficult to handle your string data, make your byte arrays the length of your string and go from there. The only time it needs to look like a "String" is when humans need to view it. (Generally, us programmers are not included in that 'human' category.) :)